Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The smallest extrusion height and width with 0.5mm nozzle?

Posted by Yamster 
The smallest extrusion height and width with 0.5mm nozzle?
August 05, 2013 04:05PM
Hello,

What would be the practical limitation of the extrusion height (layer height) and extrusion width for 0.5mm nozzle?

Can I go as low as 0.1mm layer height with 0.5mm nozzle? Or, would that be too much of an effort, and I should just switch to 0.3mm nozzle?
Re: The smallest extrusion height and width with 0.5mm nozzle?
August 05, 2013 04:18PM
You can go that low, but then you need a really well calibrated printer, and well machined nozzle with just the right nozzle profile. Personally I would not go lower than 0,15 mm with 0,5 mm nozzle.
August 05, 2013 04:32PM
Will it be easier to achieve lower layer height with smaller nozzle size, like 0.3 mm?

I understand I would need a well tuned printer to work with smaller layer height and width no matter what nozzle size is, but I wonder smaller nozzle size is more optimal for smaller layer height therefore making the calibration a bit easier.

Thank you!
August 05, 2013 04:40PM
Oh, one more question...

Just like the nozzle, there seem to be two different size commonly available for the filament; 3 mm and 1.75 mm.

Does 1.75 mm filament work better with 0.3 mm nozzle, while 3 mm filament works well with 0.5 nozzle? Or, the filament size really has nothing to do with the nozzle size? Then why are there two different sizes, and what are the good and bad for these two filament sizes?
August 06, 2013 01:55AM
the filiment size only really effects the speed of the extractor and weather or not you need a 1.7 adaptor for your hot end.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login