Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Simple mechanical question - lead screw alignment

Posted by sheck626 
Simple mechanical question - lead screw alignment
August 19, 2013 03:20PM
Simple question here. I've recently made some upgrades on my I3 which include, among other things, the x ends, x carriage, extruder, and hotend. I'm using a 4 bearing x carriage with much sturdier x ends and a j-head mkv-bv (direct from hotends.com). The problem is that before the upgrade I could use a jig to align the lead screws with respect to the print bed so the X smooth rods were perfectly parallel with the print bed. Now, I can't do that. Well, I can, but then the prints come out obviously out of alignment which can be felt with the old piece of paper trick, one side is definately lower than the other with respect to the nozzle even though the jig shows that the smooth rods are almost perfectly parallel with the bed. When I calibrate using the piece of paper, the prints come out fine but the jig shows about 0.5mm out of alignment. What could cause the nozzle to be out of alignment when the smooth rods are aligned?
Re: Simple mechanical question - lead screw alignment
August 22, 2013 05:04PM
I would take a square to everything including those new X parts. Maybe the Y rod holes on those new X ends are 90 degrees to the X rod holes or if they are the clamping type maybe the X rods aren't clamped in evenly. Maybe your Y isn't really at a right angle to your X. Maybe one of your Y motors is skipping a step each print and things being out of alingment are compensating for it. I would do a one layer thick print in four different corners of the bed and then measure each one of pieces. Do it for each of the two alignemnts you mentioned above.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2013 05:06PM by appdev007.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login