Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cheapest way to build a prusa I3

Posted by Nanoww 
Cheapest way to build a prusa I3
August 23, 2013 06:53PM
Hi, I'm trying to figure out whether it will be cheaper to self source the parts for a prusa i3 or buy the makerfarm kit. I can get a hold of a 3d printer to print out the parts I need. If self sourcing is cheaper do you have any suggestions as to how I can make sure I get all of the right parts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2013 06:53PM by Nanoww.
woo
Re: Cheapest way to build a prusa I3
August 23, 2013 07:00PM
do another printer....rather i2 then i3....
August 23, 2013 07:05PM
You'de suggest the i2 over the i3? And if I do build the i2 should I self source it.
August 23, 2013 07:33PM
I managed to self-source an i3 for just under $500, if you don't count some of the messed up parts. It's a learning process for sure. Although really, the only expensive thing that I messed up was a hot end, and it was partially because I went for a cheap one from ebay. It's pretty satisfying when it's self-sourced, I can tell you that much...
August 23, 2013 11:26PM
Well, this may sound like a joke, but I am actually serious...

I think you may be able to find someone who would want to get rid of her/his Prusa i3, and get it as a bargain.

There could be a number of reasons for someone to want to sell her/his printer. Maybe she/he has built another printer - bigger, better, and improved design. Maybe she/he no longer has time to play with her/his 3D printer any more. Maybe she/he got so frustrated with frequent hot end jamming issue, and got sicken tired of the whole thing - I actually came very close to that a couple of times myeself, and if someone actually offered me 1/2 of my investment at that time, I may have done it...

This is not exactly how to "build" Prusa i3, but there will be plenty of things to change/improve/fix on your hand me down printer, so sooner or later it will feel just like you have built it.
August 27, 2013 05:34AM
woo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> do another printer....rather i2 then i3....

Hi,
Did you build one yourself?
If not what makes you say this?
Just curious as I have built several i3's and have no issues what so ever with it/them.
I only build the single frame version.
I do make my own hot ends (always have) and absulutely love this printer.
It is cheap and very easy to assemble. It is open and perfect for demonstration purposes.
It is light and if wired "smart", easy to make into a flat pack for transport if needed.
I use a bowden setup and braid line instead of belts.
I have not printed with other models out there except my own designs BUT, many other people have said my printed parts from the i3 are the best they have seen. Now that in itself does not mean much as I can't tell which other machines printed these other parts and who printed them.
And yes I do also sell i3 kits where I live and yes I may have done some modifications here and there, but sticking to the standard found here on the reprap site I see no reason what so ever that you should not be able to end up with a good printer.

I do strongly feel that the problem most people are having is with the hot end thay have.
It jams, jams and jams again and again. This can be very frustrating and a ticket to give up on your printer.
But this does not make it a bad printer in any way.
The hot end is a "magic" area for many as it can be hard to understand the principles of how it works in regards to heat transfer and what effect that has to the pushing of filament and final extrusion.
I can't recommend any specific hot ends as I make my own, but there must be some good ones out there.

Anyway, I would build an i3 anytime, but always open for new designs and improvements.
Nopheads Mendel90 is another design/printer which I think would be superb but maybe a bit more complex to build and bigger. (I have not built one yet)

Regards
Jan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login