Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Infilling Layers taking 4-5 hours on simple model, dimensions slice incorrectly

Posted by rapidbot-3 
Infilling Layers taking 4-5 hours on simple model, dimensions slice incorrectly
August 27, 2013 08:25AM
Hello Guys,

I am new to this forum, here out of frustresperation, which is a new word to best describe much of my 3D printing dilemmas.

I am slicing the attached stl in Slic3r, 0.9.10b on a macbook pro.

With pretty basic settings:

.75 fill, .25mm height, default vertical shells, default 'advanced' infill, default speeds, and a .4mm nozzle printing 1.75 filament.

Slicing so far has taken upwards of 4 hours. 8GB of ram, I have 5 threads running.

Any ideas? I have duplicated this on two machines, and on 0.9.9 as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2013 08:35AM by rapidbot-3.
Attachments:
open | download - bottom-tinker.stl (109.4 KB)
Re: Infilling Layers taking 4-5 hours on simple model
August 27, 2013 08:31AM
Ah, one additional note, when it does print, the spacing of the holes is off by about 4 mm, yet the dimensions of the rest of the everything is correct...
Re: Infilling Layers taking 4-5 hours on simple model, dimensions slice incorrectly
August 27, 2013 12:39PM
I just sliced that object in 10.835 seconds using Slic3r 0.9.10b (75% infill). It takes about 100g of filament to print with those settings though.
Sheck, man, I wish I had the same! I'm at a loss for what the issue is with the long slice time. The wrong dimensions, however, I was able to sort out. I put some calibration info in the start g-code and it is back to good. How it got changed I haven't a clue. I had the quickest go so far tonight once I had to add the gcode, it finished up in all of about 45 minutes...

I had a similar piece take a similar amount of time to slice, and they are both from Autocad as opposed to tinkercad like the rest of the stuff I've done. Not sure if this would make a difference. The first time I printed a piece from autocad, it printed hollow, though it was a 3D solid. I actually had to import the piece into tinkercad, then save as an stl, and it printed solid. Still took around 3-4 hours to slice, though.

The piece is hefty beast, but it holds a large camera gimbal onto an octocopter, so it has to be a bit on the beefy side!
Re: Infilling Layers taking 4-5 hours on simple model, dimensions slice incorrectly
August 27, 2013 05:53PM
For what it is worth, I really like Cura as a slicer. There are a few things that Slic3r will do that Cura won't so I go back and forth at times. But my first suggestion would be that your software is messed up, so try a different package, or reinstall Slic3r.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login