Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Budaschnozzle with Prusa i2

Posted by Jo1212 
Budaschnozzle with Prusa i2
September 02, 2013 06:20AM
Hello all.

I'm currently in the process of building a Prusa i2. I purchased a plastic parts kit with the "improved version" of the x carriage. I can't seem to fit the budaschnozzle inside the mount. So my question is do any of you guys know how to mount the budaschnozzle onto the x carriage? Would I need a different type of carriage? Also, I think I've got the Guidler Extruder (JHead mount) with Herring Bone gears for less backlash. So I may need to get a new Extruder too.

Jo1212
Re: Budaschnozzle with Prusa i2
September 03, 2013 03:40AM
Also, could I print directly onto the heatbed or do I need glass ontop?

Thanks!
September 05, 2013 05:25PM
The heat bed isn't always flat and gets worse as it heats up. Use glass. Some say they can get parts to stick right to glass others (like me) need something to put on the glass. Now what to put on it is the question. Seems different people have success with different things:

With bed heated:
ABS Juice (ABS dissolved in acetone)
Hair Spray
School Glue Stick
Various kinds of fruit juices (including lemon)
Kapton Tape
All of the above combined with kapton tape.

With cold bed:
Blue Painters Tape

I use hair spray for PLA (3 light coats with dry time between applications) and school glue stick for ABS (one thin coat allowed to dry before putting on bed and turning heat on).

Sorry, I don't know the budaschnozzle so I can't help you much there. I would be interested in seeing a pic of a "improved" x carriage though.

Jo1212 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Also, could I print directly onto the heatbed or
> do I need glass ontop?
>
> Thanks!
September 05, 2013 05:32PM
I will try different thing I've got on hand like kapton tape, hair spray ect.
I should clean the glue/hair spray off the bed (with cleaning alcohol) after every use right?
September 05, 2013 05:52PM
Sorry, I intended to include that. Some say to reuse an application of whatever material. I have had mixed results trying to use hairspray and glue stick more than once. These two actually come off with warm running water. I clean the glass afterwards with isopropyl alcohol (wouldn't recommend rubbing alcohol) before re applying.

Jo1212 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I will try different thing I've got on hand like
> kapton tape, hair spray ect.
> I should clean the glue/hair spray off the bed
> (with cleaning alcohol) after every use right?
September 05, 2013 07:32PM
I used hairspray on bare borosilicate glass for a time. You don't need to clean the glass after every print. When you remove a part from the glass, it leaves the glass bare underneath. I would just spray a few layers on that region and try to make it uniform with the rest, but without going crazy about it. I cleaned the glass maybe after 10 prints.

I stopped using hairspray because it was shrinking the bottom layers of my parts. Since most of what I print needs precision that was not good. I spent much time banging my head on the wall wondering why my parts' dimensions were always off before discovering it was the hairspray. Since then I switched to PET tape and ABS+acetone solution, and I'm pretty happy with this method.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login