Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Building my first RepRap (RepStrap)

Posted by John D. Kelly 
Building my first RepRap (RepStrap)
September 13, 2013 11:57PM
Hi All!
My name is John, and I'm a new RepRapper. I'm going to build my first RepStrap (The 1x2) Because quite honestly, I want to start from the ground up. I have minimal budget, but I have a lot of persistence, and patience. I understand I will be shaping the frame, but the only thing about it all that seems daunting is assembling the chips. I'm hoping that in undertaking this project, I will gain an understanding in robotics/electronics.

So the question is, do I start by trying to get all the electronics right first? or construct the frame?

I do intend to thoroughly document the build process, so that others may also learn easily, and RepRaps may be widespread.
(talking vids & pics of EVERYTHING)
Re: Building my first RepRap (RepStrap)
September 14, 2013 12:07PM
Hey again.
I've Decided to start with the frame, as that seems easiest; for now I just compiled a lot of 1x2 parts information, and blueprints.
This is all pre-construction phase type stuff, so no documentations yet, but as soon as I start to shape a single piece, I will document it.

Again, Any advice or guidance from anyone who's built a Reprap before will be greatly appreciated.

I will document the building process so that others may learn more easily.

Thanks.
September 14, 2013 05:56PM
Glad that you will be documenting it. Not enough people do (including myself unfortunately). I plan on documenting my next build though.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
September 15, 2013 11:00PM
Okay, so after doing a little more research, I have decided to not build a 1x2 (oh boo) and I will instead take on a Prusa I3. It has been recommended by nearly everyone I talk to about it. Still will document completely, and I already have a friend who wants me to print parts for him when I finish.

Spreading the awesome n stuff.

So gonna build the more simple and rigid box frame for the i3, and then go from there.

Keep following for updates.
September 16, 2013 06:19PM
So something I'd like to do while I wait for parts to ship, Is get started on the 3D models. As you and I know, It's not that simple. so I was wondering what software I should use that is compatible and good. Any suggestions?
September 16, 2013 09:07PM
I use slicer to slice for printing but, as far as creating your own designs. I recommend sketchup or blender. Both have free versions and sketchup is very user friendly. They also have tutorial videos on getting started and how to make things. It was a quick learn for me and after watching a few videos, messing around a bit. I have now designed intricate full 3d printer designs with minimal software design experience. I used to do designs the old school way, (pencil, rulers and paper) so if I can go from that to full designs. Almost anyone can learn sketchup. Good luck with your first build.

Was in the same situation as you when I first started and my first reprap build was a printrbot original. I made it with a few bucks worth of printed parts and anything laying around that I could make into functional parts. Happy building! Oh ya, if your interested in seeing that build, its documented via the link in my signature under printrbot Nintendo edition.

--------------| For Everything |--------------------------
Check it out here:
[reprapsquad.wordpress.com].
---------| For Everything Prototype Related |------
Now featuring comp case mods:
[RepRapLab.wordpress.com]

--------------| Find us at Twitter|------------------------
@REPRAPSQUAD (RS Main)
[mobile.twitter.com]
@REPRAPSQUADHQ (ProtoLab)
[mobile.twitter.com]
September 16, 2013 09:50PM
Yeah, I'll echo that - Sketchup is great for starting in 3D modelling.

September 16, 2013 10:17PM
Thanks man. That nintendo build is awesome! totallly bookmarked haha.

And thanks to waitaki aswell.

Yea I just figured it'd be better if I started to learn now since I'm waiting for it all to line up. I've got a bunch of cool ideas to build, and of course I want to print out more reprap parts.
September 16, 2013 10:36PM
John D. Kelly Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks man. That nintendo build is awesome!
> totallly bookmarked haha.
>
> And thanks to waitaki aswell.
>
> Yea I just figured it'd be better if I started to
> learn now since I'm waiting for it all to line up.
> I've got a bunch of cool ideas to build, and of
> course I want to print out more reprap parts.

Thanks I really appreciate it. We have come a long way since our first printer as you can see on the site. We now run a foundation to get 3d printers into schools, opening up a store soon, work very close with a lot of 3d print companies and distributors. It has been a long journey to get where we are today and now we have members all over the world. Within the next few months we will be going to Africa to help setup Another shop. It all started with building that first reprap out of my old apartment. It was a lot of hard work but like you I have patience and that hunger to always learn more. Troubleshooting became fun because of the priceless information we learned along the way.

If you ever have any questions or need any help feel free to get ahold of me. I am always available to help a fellow builder.
September 17, 2013 12:17AM
That is awesome and you and your companies will always have my support. setting up a printer shop in Africa? THAT is Freaking awesome. I appreciate you taking any interest in what I am doing. Like it makes me feel like I am not wasting my time. it is inspiring.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2013 12:17AM by John D. Kelly.
September 17, 2013 06:42AM
John D. Kelly Wrote:
the only thing about it all
> that seems daunting is assembling the
> chips

John, Don't worry about the electronics too much, its more straightforward than it might seem and you'll get plenty of online help. What you might wanna concentrate on now is making a strong rigid frame and being meticulous with the mechanical part of the build.

September 17, 2013 08:59AM
Really? that's good to know. I kind of assumed they'd be the hardest part.

I also just got sketchup yesterday, and I love it. i tried to use blender once and had no idea what to do. there was too much going on. I like sketchup though. The only thing I had to look up was moving edges and vertices.

also, I thought I'd ask to see your reprap (or one of them lol) if that's cool.

And I really do appreciate your guys' help.
September 17, 2013 10:39AM
John D. Kelly Wrote:
> Really? that's good to know. I kind of assumed
> they'd be the hardest part.
>
> I also just got sketchup yesterday, and I love it.
> i tried to use blender once and had no idea what
> to do. there was too much going on. I like
> sketchup though. The only thing I had to look up
> was moving edges and vertices.
>
> also, I thought I'd ask to see your reprap (or one
> of them lol) if that's cool.
>
> And I really do appreciate your guys' help.

glad sketchup made sense to you and you are able to get started with it. Blender can be a handful but, it can also be a great tool. I would focus most of your time with sketchup to start with. Thanks for supporting us as well. Its a lot of hard work and determination to really immerse yourself in 3d printing but, trust me if your anything like I am and it sounds like you are. It will be well worth it. Always take every opportunity to learn as much as you can. Keep me updated on your progress.
September 17, 2013 11:04AM
Of course!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login