Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

+-0.8mm Tolerance Issues

Posted by BlenderGuy 
+-0.8mm Tolerance Issues
September 14, 2013 12:22AM
I was making some parts and wanted to put a square dato into a square dato hole. It didn't fit. I did some measuring and came up with some odd results. All are in mm and all were supposed to fit together. I made this small shape to test some things

X-Axis Distances
Square Square
Hole Block
4.5 5.4
14.8 15.3
24.4 25.2

Y-Axis Distances
Square Square
Hole Block
4.2 5.4
14.2 15.5
24.1 25.2

I believe the issue is backlash as it doesn't seem to increase with size. I got a friend to print it on his printer which is a Perusa with a 3mm fillament and .35mm nozzle. He printed two and they fit together with no interference. Which makes me annoyed, but it also means I can get this one to work to that standard.

I have a Mendle/Perusa mix: the X axis is from a Mendle and most of the rest of the frame is Perusa. The control board is a RAMPS power by a XBox 360. The extruder is a MixShop extruder assembly with a .5mm nozzle, 3mm fillament.

Any ideas what I can do?
Attachments:
open | download - Calibration Shape.stl (29.2 KB)
Re: +-0.8mm Tolerance Issues
September 14, 2013 09:11AM
Did your friend use the exact same g code? Or, did your friend sliced the STL him/herself by any chance?

I think (not 100% sure) the dimensional accuracy, especially with inner openings, can be impacted by the slicing software used and also the layer width.
September 14, 2013 09:13AM
We both use Sli3er. He helped me get mine up and running and I have copied everything software wise from him
September 14, 2013 09:48AM
Actually, I was dreaming about this last night. I may reduce the fill ratio. I think it may have been caused by the nozzle putting down too much plastic so it spread outwards to the side. I will get back on this.
September 15, 2013 12:28AM
I mostly fixed my issue
I now have a 0.0-0.1 oversize when outside and 0.3-0.5 undersized when on the inside of a pocket. I replaced the entire X-axis with a new design, something looking like the single piece parts of the Perusa, but using the roller bearings from the Mendle.

Is there a spot in the Sli3er code where I can reduce the perimeter of an object when making G-code? I could put tolerances into a part when designing it, but I will be unable to print off .stl files from other people that are supposed to fit together.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login