Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ABS / Extruder

Posted by Arthur 
ABS / Extruder
July 15, 2009 09:12PM
My McWire is just about done! It just doesn't extrude all that quickly with ABS (like 1 mm every 10 seconds). This is the version I built:

[www.reprap.org]

1) The heated barrel is brass. The printed parts came from a dimension machine (one of those professional 3D printers).

2) I used some ceramic paste that Forrest used to "glue" the thermistor and NiChrome to the brass barrel.

3) Extruder speed = 210. // M108 S210.0

4) Extruder temperature = 200 C // M104 S200.0

Do I have thermal problems? Or do I have a motor problem (my motor: [www.robotshop.ca] )

Thanks for the help!
Re: ABS / Extruder
July 16, 2009 08:06PM
I run my extruder at 240 deg C for ABS, but the indicated temp that will vary depending on where you measure the temperature. I have a thermocouple between the nozzle and the barrel, so I should be getting a reading of the average of the barrel and nozzle temps.

I also run my extruder at 30 rpm, which works out to 0.5 mm of 3mm diameter feedstock per second, or 16 mm/s of extruded 0.5 mm filament. I usually just call it 3 mm^3/s of plastic to avoid confusion.

Will your motor run faster? Try gradually increasing the temp or the PWM, but don't exceed your motor's ratings. I'm using a 12 volt GM3 (black cap), but yours may be the 6 volt version.

Smaller exit holes, and the shape of your melt chamber can have an effect - look up Nophead's blog postings about tapered melt chambers.

Good luck!

Wade
Re: ABS / Extruder
July 22, 2009 09:42PM
I'm running ABS at 220 C. It moves a lot better than at 200 C. I get about 15 mm/s of 0.5 mm filament.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login