Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to get RepRap parts?

Posted by Bruce 
How to get RepRap parts?
July 21, 2009 02:25PM
Hey,

I've read through the forums and the how-to's.. and am building a RepRap machine.
I've built CNC machines in the past, with good luck... Most recent being a 4'x4'x9".
How do folks get other folks to print them out a set of parts for the Darwin?
I've had no luck enticing anyone to print out a set of parts.
... It seems that to make one, you have to have one - but the folks who have one aren't making enough parts for the folks who want to have one, too.

Please let me know if I'm doing something improper, or if I'm missing something.

Thanks

Bruce
Re: How to get RepRap parts?
July 21, 2009 02:58PM
Hi Bruce.

RepRap Guru NopHead has just finished a set of parts for a good cause:
[hydraraptor.blogspot.com]

totalling over 75 hours build time, not including mistakes. It's a lot of effort to print out, so it's usually limited to close friends or someone with a vested interest, so I'm not too surprised.

If I were you, I'd get my hands on one of your CNC platforms, and build a simple extruder to go on it - like a mcwire bot. You can use that to 'repstrap' yourself a set of parts. Most others start that way.

It might sound a bit weird, but you can use the low-speed low-quality mcwire bot to print out parts for a high-quality darwin and start from almost nothing!

Renoir

---
Reprapping blog and other rants: [renoirsrants.blogspot.com]
My Reprap: [sites.google.com]
July 21, 2009 05:05PM
Hi Bruce

Thats also what we are doing with some high school kids that I am working with.

We are using a Sanguino board that interfaces the mill to the extruder via I/O lines to control the extruder portion.

Here's a link to a quick project description:

[builders.reprap.org]

I think the number of parts that would have to extruded could be substanially reduced if someone followed up on Zach's work with the "Pull Yourself Together Bot":

[blog.reprap.org]
July 22, 2009 06:22PM
Thank you, everyone for the kind replies.

I am investigating the RepStrap McWire cartesian bot...

I can not download the files from SourceForge, though...
Anyone else have this problem?
(used both IE7 & Mozilla)

Thanks in advance.

Bruceb75@cox.net
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login