Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Teacup firmware on Atmega128 for my Mini-RepStrap

Posted by Buzo 
Teacup firmware on Atmega128 for my Mini-RepStrap
November 18, 2013 06:38PM
I was able to compile the Teacup firmware to run in my Atmega128
Instead of using the make command or Arduino, I used the AtmelStudio IDE to compile for the following reasons:

1.-Easy to read colors!
2.-In case of a compiling problem, doubleclicking the error in the results list takes you to file where the error is.
3.-I can navigate throught all the tabs! (I can't see more than ~20 tabs in the version of arduino I have.)
4.-"Go to implementation" link for each function takes you to where a variable or function was first declared (I don't think Arduin has this function).
5.-After digging into the teacup code, I got the best practice of naming my inputs and outputs with the function + the pin number for other code I develop, so I don't have to check the #define's to recall where an input should be physically wired. e.g. X_DIR_PD3, or X_DIR_DIO10_PD3 or even better X_DIR_DIO10_PD3_PIN28 so all the information is contained into the name of the variable itself.
6.-I built from scratch my own motor drivers controlled with a tiny2313 and using the naming technique above really helped me to write the code for it!
Now I don't need to go back and forth the code and the datasheet as I used to.

I don't know how yo guys define a name for every repstrap -in this case- mine has a printing area of 200x200x100mm so I want to call it MINI-REPSTRAP.
The intention is to build something to be able to create parts for a "better" and bigger reprap.
Used wood, drawer sliders, one unipolar motor, one bipolar motor and one brushless-trifasic motor for the Z axe. The X axe mechanism was taken from an old inkjet printer.
I would say the inspiration came mainly from the FoldaRap (but mine doesn't fold) & ScanRepStrap (not sure about the name but its the one using scanner parts though smiling smiley)

So far I can move all the axes in manual mode. I don't have an extruder yet, so I will be printing in 2D these days for debugging purposes.
Pictures of my build coming soon!

One question though, What would be the best windows based host-software to run with the teacup firmware?
Re: Teacup firmware on Atmega128 for my Mini-RepStrap
November 18, 2013 07:25PM
Best to start with something that's plain and simple. Pronterface fits that bill pretty well. Pair it up with Slic3r and you have about as mainstream a combo as you can get these days. Make sure it works ok and then start experimenting with other stuff. It's all free, so the only investment is your time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2013 07:25PM by uncle_bob.
November 21, 2013 09:46AM
Thanks for your reply.

Here is a general picture of how it looks
I used laminated wood that is used to make shelves as the structure of the printer.
The limit for X travel distance is the inkjet mechanism, as you can see I can expand almost double (150mm/6 in) than the current print size.
This inkjet had originally a DC motor, but I had a stepper motor that has the same shaft size, so It was a straight replacement.
The limit for the Y axe is the length of the belt, that I got from another old inkjet by the way.
The Y motor is a real stepper like the ones are commonly used in reprap.
Since I didn’t have a pulley for it, I used a piece if rubber hose around the shaft.
The softness of the rubber hose allows the belt teeth to have good track.
I have put the motor to work in fast cycles and it doesn’t seem to lose track, but we will see when printing parts.

There is only one motor for the Z axe as you can see. I am working creating the Driver for this tri-phases motor.
Next step is to put the end stops so It can run automatically.
Attachments:
open | download - mini-repstrap.JPG (228.3 KB)
January 01, 2014 09:35AM
Buzo, its a great move. Do as UncleBob said, dont move nowhere until you have those well enough especially you are in firmware tic-tac.

You may see The Echinus Project at [www.echinus.org] . They wrote teacup for Atmega128 via AtmelStudio IDE.
I was wondering of the "Go to implementation" concept and "Naming Convetion aka Nomenclature" you have. Will you mind to share your porting success?
At last, likely your own tiny2313 driven motor drivers controller shall different compare to echinus as they make their stepper controller via I2C.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login