Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Slic3r setup during install

Posted by abarnes 
Slic3r setup during install
January 08, 2014 04:10AM
Hi,

I am new to the Reprap community and am in the process of commisioning my Mendel Tricolour printer. I am having a bit of trouble importing an stl file into the pronterface. I have got the Slic3r window open from pronterface. I am following the procedure on the wiki page but cannot load the stl file using the load file button. I get an error in the log window as below:

IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '.\\Software-master/slic3r.ini'

All of the Slic3r files are in my default directory along with the pronterface.py file.

Can anyone help me please?
Thanks for any help.
Andy.
Re: Slic3r setup during install
January 08, 2014 05:33AM
You don't say which operating system you are running but for the purposes of this reply I will assume its Windows 7 or above.

It looks like you have downloaded the distribution from the github, what you should have done is to download the Windows precompiled binary from link under 'commissioning' in the ReprapPeo documentation wiki above the one pointing to the github link, It downloads as a zip file called 'RepRapPro-Printrun-Slic3r.zip', Inside the zip is a directory called Win7 which you need to unzip into an appropriate place on your PC (don't use c:\Program Files, or c:\Program File (X86) as you may get issues with access rights on these). You also need to download the print profiles from the wiki and install these in the profiles directory under the Win7 one. You then run 'proterface.exe'.

Hope this helps

Harvey.
January 08, 2014 11:09AM
Thanks Harvey.

I am using Widows XP. I have looked again at the precompiled binary for windows and will install this.

Andy
January 09, 2014 02:58AM
Hi Ralph,

I have tried using the pre-compiled link but this is for Windows 7 not XP. Is there one for XP?

Thanks for your help.
Andy,
January 09, 2014 05:58AM
As far as I'm aware, there is not one for XP, but the Windows 7 one might work. If not, in the Win7 folder there is w9xpopen.exe, (designed for Windows 95), this might work in compatibility mode.Other than that, I'm afraid I can't help. I'm running Windows 8.1 here.

Printrun does not need a lot of processing power. I ended up purchasing a light weight lap top to use as a dedicated printer controller to save leaving my usual desk top machine (8 core processor, dual 1tb hard drives, 16mb ram ) running the whole time. You might want to consider this, you can get them quite cheaply (mine cost just over £300) and for me its an ideal solution (until, that is I hook up a Raspberry Pi to the thing ... one of my (many!) next projects).

You will like the Mendel, its a good printer, Like you I have the Tricolour version, I hardly ever print in multi colour, but one of my nozzles is 0.3 mm rather than the usual 0.5, and I find this very useful for fine work.

Harvey
January 09, 2014 11:50AM
Where is your slic3r.ini file. Slic3r is looking for it in a folder named "Software-master" below your current directory. If you have it somewhere else, you need to either move your file to that location, or change the pronterface configuration to have it point to the location of where your file is.

I no longer use pronterface so I don't quite remember the way to change its configuration. There might be a way to do it from within the program itself, at a minimum there should be a config file that you can edit with notepad.
April 08, 2014 08:33AM
Solved (at least for me)

This is retrospective and my memory isn't great.

Mendel Tricolour, Win XP SP2

I used the precompiled binary but swapped out the 64 bit Slic3r for the 32 bit (slic3r-mswin-x86-0-9-10b).

I was having same message in pronterface re slic3r.ini whilst trying to open a print file. Couldn't figure it all until...
Went into Skeinforge folder (in same dir as pronterface)
In there now are two python files: __init__ and skeinforge. I think at the time there may have only been one of these.
Anyway, I double clicked one of them which opened the little black window (console?) which created a new compiled python file also called __init__
I then closed pronterface, reopened it and tried to open the file again and HEY PRESTO - slic3r converted my file to gcode.
Hope this helps. Sorry dont know all the techy terms for what I did.

Edit: My first print has completed!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2014 11:02AM by jokacola.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login