Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Don't know what to do next....

Posted by hankd 
Don't know what to do next....
February 24, 2014 04:45PM
Hello all,

I'm new to everything (RepRap, 3D printing, etc...). But I'm trying to figure out what is next on my end. I just recently bought/built a MendalMax. I have everything together and I've installed sprinter firmware on my ramps board. Also install pronterface, now here is where I'm lost. I'm not really sure what to do after this. I'm not really sure how to calibration/run the printer so I'm able to get printing. Any help is appreciated..

-hank
Re: Don't know what to do next....
February 24, 2014 05:19PM
Check the wiki under commissioning your reprap.
February 24, 2014 11:08PM
As a newbie myself, I have figured this out with the help of other of course. But correct me if I am wrong on this as I am still learning. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Pronterface and Slic3r are used together.

Once you have the .stl file open it in Slic3r.

There you can change the settings of the print itself like the extruder temp/ bed temp, fan speeds etc. you cannot open .stl file from pronterface and print because you do not know what the settings for that file are yet.

click File->quick slice and save as - here you select the .stl file you want to slice.( this is what generates the GCode by slicing the .stl file. it creates the path for the printer and values associated with the file itself like temp and extrusion i think) then in the Plater you export the Gcode and save it

Now you open Pronterface and set the temp for the filament you are using so that they preheat. Once the desired temp is reached you can load the File from Slic3r that you exported and then you should be able to print.

I am having various issues after this point with jamming but hope this helps you understand the process. I am using QU-BD extruder.

Sincerely,

Janski
February 24, 2014 11:11PM
Thanks Maxx and Janski,

I'm understand Slic3r and GCode part. But I'm stuck on getting pronterface to move the x, y and z. It seems that they are jammed which doesn't make any sense. I ran the ramps test code and everything was moving but the z axis. Just not sure what to do from here.
February 25, 2014 01:14AM
I assume you have double checked the wiring for the z-axis? Is there any sound or vibration on the z-axis servos? If so, you may need to adjust the trim pot on the stepper driver. Search for that as a topic as there seem to be different techniques. Be careful rotating that trim pot as it is delicate. You might also try switching the stepper from an axis that is working to the z-axis. You need to get everything moving, and the heaters heating, before the next step.

The next step is adjusting things inside the firmware. I use Marlin and in the configuration.h file you need to choose your configuration. You will also need to adjust the number of steps per unit further in the file.

Good luck,
Wisar
February 25, 2014 11:47AM
Thanks Wisar..

Here is where I'm at.

I was having an issue with trying to get the smart LCD to work. I was using sprinter firmware on the ramps board and found out that sprinter doesn't support smart LCD. I added Marlin firmware on the ramps board. I adjusted the settings in Marlin and now the LCD works, I'm able to get a read out of what is going on. But this too will not move the x, y or z.

When I'm in Pronterface, I try to move x, y or z and they all do the same thing. They either move a hair or don't move at all... So I'm not sure if it's the "trim pot" you are talking about Wisar or if it has to with the end stops. I did just try and run a print job. The printer head started smoking (this is the first time it has been started) it freaked me out and I turned everything off.
February 25, 2014 12:43PM
This is the time to step back, take a breath and recheck everything (wiring) for correctness and is properly inserted, tightened. Are you getting smoke from the nozzle or somewhere else? If it is the nozzle what is your temp, what type of filament. If elsewhere, wiring is a suspect. All circuits contain a limited amount of smoke. When they run out of smoke, they tend to stop working. The best way to double check wiring is to pretend somebody else did it, and that everything is potentially wrong. In that way, you don't end up glossing over a loose connection (leads to burnt connector) loose motor wire (leads to burnt motor) misdirected wire (can create all kinds of problems) Checking and rechecking your wiring is just one step that will save time and trouble; it is a lot faster than waiting for and replacing parts. It also helps you to understand your printer better. Look at the ramps page on the wiki, there is a detailed wiring diagram, easy to read and use it to be sure that all wiring is correct, then tug the wires GENTLY at each screw connection to be certain that all are secure. Don't forget to verify the power supply connections as well. It is fairly important to have a multimeter. they can be had very inexpensively. Check the Vref of your stepper drivers. Consult the wiki under pololu for how to do this. If you have fried anything, don't despair. Everything comes as separate parts and most can be had cheaply online. At the beginning, sometimes it seems like racing, but it is a whole lot cheaper!
February 25, 2014 02:32PM
Thanks Maxx!

The smoke was def coming from the nozzle, it never got to full temp of 230. It got to around 165ish and I turned everything off. But I think the issue might be that I didn't have filament in the nozzle. That's why I was prob seeing smoke.

I know it's something silly that I have done. Either I have set up the end stops wrong or I have a wire crossed something where. Because everything else checks out ok.

Thanks again to everyone... I'll keep everyone posted on what I figure out tonight.

-hank
February 25, 2014 05:38PM
Do you have Kapton tape on your nozzle? The first time I heated my nozzle after putting on the Kapton tape it smoked enough to scare me into shutting it off... It should only smoke the first time or so of heating then it shouldn't do that anymore.
March 03, 2014 11:14AM
Sorry for the delay in post. Crazy last couple of days.

Here is where I'm currently at, I broke one of the wires going to the heating bed. So my testing has been put to a stands still until I solder the wire back on.

But I was able to get all the of axis's moving around with pronterface. I'm having an issue with the extruter. When get the temp up to 230C to try and test it. The extruter motor doesnt move. I'm not sure why. When I try to do a test print everything "seems" to be working correctly but the extrutor.
March 15, 2014 12:09AM
I'm really confused and at a loss on what to do.

Here is where am at. I have all the motors (sorta) working. I'm able to move them around by using pronterface. But here is my issue, if I leave the default settings XY: 3000mm/min and Z: 200mm/min.The motors do not move. When I change them to XY: 20mm/min and Z: 20mm/min they move just fine. Am I missing something have I done something incorrectly?

On to the extruter, when I get the temp up to 200ish I'm able to click the Extrude button (without getting the cold extrusion error) but the motor doesn't move. If I try doing a test print the extruder motors moves but the filament doesn't move through the hotend.

I'm really confused on what to do, everything I've tried to do has come to a dead end. All the "helpful" tips I'm able to find on the web are not helping.
March 15, 2014 09:28AM
when you say it moves just fine at 20 mm/min, how fast is it actually moving? It should take about a minute to move 3/4 inch.

if it moves much faster than that you may have the calibration distances wrong.

you may be trying to move much faster than the stepper motors can actually handle, and they just can't put out enough power.

Try doing a quick calibration. Start the carriage at the far right side of the printer and them do -100 mm in the x direction. measure to see if it actually goes that far.

if it hits the limit switch you are probably way off.

if the calibration is bad you will need to edit the configuration h file in the firmware and change the step per unit. look for a line that says:

#define_AXIS_STEP_PER_UNIT**********

my values are ~ 99, 98, 2566, 736 how do yours compare?

Check out the assembly videos at NW Reprap they are for an I2' but there is a lot of good information about principles of alignment, setting up software and calibration there.

Here are two other of i3 assembly videos:

3D Printronics Videos

Makerfarm Videos

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2014 02:22PM by D-Wes.
March 17, 2014 09:29AM
Thanks D-Wes,

I'm currently using Marlin v1. When the motor is set to 20mm/min it's moving way to far I know this. But this is the only way I'm able to get it to move. When I try getitng pronterface to 2000mm/min the motors pretty much don't move.

Here is my #define_AXIS_STEP_PER_UNIT, I haven't changed it from the defaults.
#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {78.7402,78.7402,200.0*8/3,760*1.1}
March 17, 2014 10:10AM
Use the reprap calculator to figure out your steps per millimeter and punch them in the configuration file[calculator.josefprusa.cz]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2014 10:11AM by cnc dick.
March 17, 2014 06:01PM
Have you installed the jumpers underneath the stepper drivers? This regulates the microsteps, which would explain your printer moving "way to far". I experienced (but not really understanding) also loud motors and movement only with low mm/s (at least in pronterface, didn't compare) when facing this problem.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2014 06:05PM by Rotz.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login