Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder Barrel (Fastening and Insulating)

Posted by Adam.m.Nelson 
Extruder Barrel (Fastening and Insulating)
January 07, 2010 10:05AM
Ok, so I went on a couple trips to the local hardware stores and came up with something that might be better for the extruder barrel assembly (in replacement for the fire cement).

The product is a "gasket maker" silicone from the automotive section of the store (I got it at Canadian Tire). Its temperature rated at 371 deg C (700 deg F) "Intermittent", and is not conductive with respect to heat or electricity (I've tested it for the electrical insulation, heat is next on the list). Its made to bond with metals and other materials (In automotive its used for the head gaskets).

Has anyone tried anything like this before? Did you succeed or fail?

I went looking for the fire cement and it doesn't seem to be available anywhere.

Oh the tube of silicone was $8.99 CAD and will make many many extruders if it works.

Hmmm. I don't know how to attach pics, if some one tells me how I will attach a couple.

"Get busy living, or get busy dieing" - Red
Re: Extruder Barrel (Fastening and Insulating)
January 07, 2010 10:11AM
To attach a file click on the "Attach a file" text just above the message toolbar.
Then browse your computer and attach up to 10 files. No file can be larger than 613.8 KB.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
January 07, 2010 10:23AM
Right, thats more like it!

Here they are.
Attachments:
open | download - IMGP3003b.jpg (339.3 KB)
open | download - IMGP3002b.jpg (394.9 KB)
January 07, 2010 04:04PM
I've tried this stuff before without much success as it dries flexible. You can get fire cement pretty cheap at ace hardware in a caulk style tube for about $5 Ace Hardware Fire Cement although I don't know what they would charge for shipping to Canada. You could try a local farm or home heating stove store, most places that carry wood burning stoves carry it as well.

Overall I think I've had the most luck with Kapton tape as you can easily remove it to rebuild your extruder. Its pretty hard to find but the makerbot store carries it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2010 04:07PM by jeffpark_.

----
[www.binaryconstruct.com]
January 07, 2010 04:21PM
I have the capton tape, but how do you stop the barrel from spinning with the capton tape?
January 07, 2010 05:00PM
So does deal extreme, for less cost and better international shipping.

Polyimide Heat Resistant/High Temperature Adhesive Tape

[www.dealextreme.com]

repraplogphase.blogspot.com
January 07, 2010 05:20PM
Adam.m.Nelson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have the capton tape, but how do you stop the
> barrel from spinning with the capton tape?

Do you mean spinning inside the PFTE barrier or the PFTE and barrel spinning inside your extruder body? For barrel inside the body I have it screwed tightly down inside threads and a nut on the end similar to this:

if you use the tape, these instructions for assembling the barrel are pretty good:

Makerbot Extruder MK4 Assembly

----
[www.binaryconstruct.com]
January 07, 2010 07:23PM
LOL. I was going to do that and convinced myself that it would still spin free. I am going to do that tomorrow!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login