Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pully Slipping i think

Posted by Doug1 
Pully Slipping i think
March 12, 2014 11:17AM
So i have a small probem i have not quite been able to identify the cause of yet.

The problem is im missing steps or something at -X for instance circle seems to not be effected but square or the big gear pattern slide a bit

wades big gear starts sliding at layer 2 the test cube seemed to make it about 30 layers then slid a good half inch then fine for the rest the print although my test cube has that 10mm or so off set.

So i tightened down the grub screw and belt as much as i dared the pully its self will hold on to that belt very very well as to where the printed one woud slide. So i am thinking of that belt grabs that well and im still losing steps possible problems are.

1. If its going + and goes - does that pully and grub screw actually hold or does the shaft and pully wheel slip
2. i dont think it is possible for that belt to slip but cant rule that out
3. ( work with me here im a data base programmer ) but if there is to much touque on a direction switch could that cause a missed step ? and how would you fix that ?

Now the things i changed reciently if this adds any perspective

1. step ratio ( per the calculator ) when i changed pullys
2. Motor power on the stepper driver ( X and Y were getting bit to warm for me to be comfortable so toned them down a 1/8 turn)
3. Did a carful lube with white greese on the smooth bar ( making sure i didnt hit the belt with the slick stuff )

Any ideas as im kinda out on what else i can adjust to fix this.
Re: Pully Slipping i think
March 12, 2014 11:50AM
Did you have this issue before you adjusted the stepper drivers?

I had something similar a while back and it was the belt slipping slightly. If you run a second print as soon as the first finishes (only removing the part) does it happen again?
In my case I was resetting the belt prior to every print.

It might also help if you post an image of one of the prints.

My Reprap blog

jds-reprap.blogspot.com
March 12, 2014 01:25PM
I did but very mild issues. Mostly adjusted the steppers because the motors were getting hot. by hot i mean like less then a cup of press pot coffee hot smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2014 01:26PM by Doug1.
March 12, 2014 06:10PM
Think will try giving it back some power tonight see how that shakes out . Although i wonder how hot its supposed to get. Either way i dont think i can get that grub screw tigher with out risking breaking my driver or having it strip the threads on the pully. Although i did entertain the idea of driling a stright though and pining it in..
March 12, 2014 09:04PM
You can't really just "turn the pot 1/8 - you have to adjust the voltage correctly,

March 13, 2014 01:35PM
Now i have heard a bit about this. From what i gather you have to use multi meter, Red on the pot blackon power supply negitive. set voltage to dc 20

Now what to adjust it to exactly im not sure i am still trying to figure that out. I dont like the idea of subjective adjustments anyway rather have a solid number to set
March 13, 2014 09:01PM
Usually around 0.4v but some boards need up to 0.8v. Set it to the former first.

Click here to login