Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Open Sourcing a Design for the First Time

Posted by PrinterPunk 
Open Sourcing a Design for the First Time
March 21, 2014 11:41AM
Hi All Only Just Registered for the first time even though i have already built 4X RepRap Based 3D Printers since 2009 ( 3X Mendal Based + 1X Closed Source ) + Done some CNC Machine Conversions etc….

I have made a lot of things for myself but never thought about releasing anything Open Source & I Feel now is a good time to start sharing back with the community. At Present i am working on a Compact Direct Drive Extruder - Nick Named the " VTE " or Very Tidy Extruder - It uses all off the shelf parts , so there is no need to make hobbed bolts or buy specially manufactured friction drive insert wheels/gears , - Every part can be purchased cheaply and easily ( PRINT & ASSEMBLE ) + It will have a built in safety device to protect the Hot End. It's Still Work in Progress but i have tested the Brass Insert that drives the filament and it works very well smiling smiley - The Hot end choice will be J-Head or E3D.

I Will Open Source this Extruder as a thank you for all the open source things i have used & Built over the years smiling smiley

I Have Never Open Sourced a Item Before and have so many Questions - I Don't Know where to Start - :O

All I Know is i Want it to be Open Source so People can Make it , Sell it , Modify it, Help Make it Better - But it will Remain Open Source to all forever.

What Licence to use ( GNU or CREATIVE COMMONS ) ?

Where to Release Design & Where Not too Release it ?

What Paperwork to Include with the Design ( Licence , Instructions , Renders , Other )

Testing & Collaboration ( How - Where ) ?

Where to get Donated or Borrowed parts to further the development of a design without breaking the piggy bank.

Any Advice is very welcome & Thank's in Advance smiling smiley

If the Packaging is Stronger & Better Designed than the Product inside. - Then what did you Buy ?
Re: Open Sourcing a Design for the First Time
March 21, 2014 07:34PM
PrinterPunk
What Licence to use ( GNU or CREATIVE COMMONS ) ? Have a look here. Basically, pick the license that you think fits the best. Preferably something unrestricted, such as CC BY or CC BY-SA.

Where to Release Design & Where Not too Release it ? Preferably on the RepRap wiki. You can upload all your files and documentation there. I personally recommend not to upload to Thingiverse, though everyone has a different opinion on that.

What Paperwork to Include with the Design ( Licence , Instructions , Renders , Other ) Everything that you can. Feel free to copy an existing page (such as this one) and edit it to fill in your own information, pictures, etc.

Testing & Collaboration ( How - Where ) ? Here in the forums, and on the wiki.

Where to get Donated or Borrowed parts to further the development of a design without breaking the piggy bank. Ask in the forums here, email other RepRap suppliers, etc.

Any Advice is very welcome & Thank's in Advance smiling smiley

BTW, looks like a nice design. Is it geared? What size filament is it meant for?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2014 07:34PM by NewPerfection.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
March 22, 2014 08:42AM
Thank you for your guidance on getting started with open source New Perfection smiling smiley

I will have a good look at the different licensing options from your Link and try and work out the correct one to use.

Your not the first person saying that Thingiverse is not the best place to use. I am guessing this is because of the Makerbot Connection ( Going from Open Source to Closed Source ) ?

I have done limited testing ( Around 60 Hours ) Using 1.75MM +/- 0.25mm Filament and have found no problem with the Direct Drive ( Non Geared ) but have yet to try it all together in the new compact casing design, But I still have a lot of other bit's to do yet, Eg. Make sure Filament can be loaded/Unloaded fast & without issues etc…….

Thank's for all the Pointers to my questions NewPerfection it's a great help to get me started and thank's for your time in replying to help me.

If the Packaging is Stronger & Better Designed than the Product inside. - Then what did you Buy ?
March 25, 2014 01:00PM
Hi PP,

If you need funds, you may Kickstart this. Sell some to fund your research. If you say you will opensource the blueprints i bet you will get more support than just selling the extruder.
March 25, 2014 08:34PM
Hi Gaz - Thanks for the Reply

I am not sure about using KickStarter just yet Gaz as i am still trying to learn about all the in's & Out's of Open Sourcing a design & I am doing this in my spare time only as a thank you to all the open source developers who's Software & Hardware i use daily. If i do find that the extruder is liked by people it may prompt me to go deeper into open source hardware.

But thank you for your advice and pointing out that there are alternative funding options should it be needed in the future.

Thanks Gaz - Much Appreciated smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2014 08:35PM by PrinterPunk.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login