Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

newbie looking for (wife approved budget) rep-strap machine.

Posted by wayword son 
newbie looking for (wife approved budget) rep-strap machine.
April 03, 2014 03:55AM
im new to cnc, and 3d printing, and am looking for a budget rep-strap delta machine with an auto level probe. that for the mechanics. will use mostly what i have on hand, as i need to save cash for the controller..any advice, encouragement, or help would be appreciated. my idea is to print parts for kite airborne photography kits. custom kite spar fittings, possibly make parts for a cnc mill for hmwpe, or delrin plastic, and to upgrade the 3d printer. and maybe being bitten by the bug, make my own version of a rostock delta type 3d printer.

what i have on hand is box full of nema 17 and nema 23 stepper motors that i salvaged from the electronic scrap bin where i worked (off of scientific equipment that faild the smoke test) . i also have a stack of variously sized panels of 3/4th" 5 ply solid laminate maple. for a workshop, i have, some skill at qualitative engineering, experience as a kite builder.a drill press, access to a home quality table saw. hand drills, hand saws, and a hammer, (to help with the configuration frustrations.)

for purchased parts i have the local hardware stores, a tap plastics down the street. radio shack and e-bay.

i also have a budget that is administered by my wife, and within reason for my income therefore not extravagant in any way.

i am willing to barter from my extra salvage,for printed. linear. and hot end parts.

for trade i have
1 24v power supply
3 vexta pk245-01aa stepper motors
1 pk 243-01aa
1 nema 17 vexta planetary gear motor single stage, no info on ratio. 3/8 shaft 5/16 square profile on end.
18 npm pf55-48c1 tin can motor, (7.5 deg, 48 step)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2014 04:24AM by wayword son.

"so, what we really need is a dehydrated reprap kit, so you can just add water, and print parts for your large format 3d printer upgrade."
Re: newbie looking for (wife approved budget) rep-strap machine.
April 03, 2014 11:23AM
Try looking at the Bamboo printer in [richrap.blogspot.com]

Budget-controller-wise I've been playing with [reprap.org] -- The stepper drivers could be re-used in RAMPS, Gen7, or several other electronics (See [reprap.org] )
Re: newbie looking for (wife approved budget) rep-strap machine.
April 03, 2014 10:06PM
thank you, to often when you are exposed to all the fancy new upgraded plug and play tech these days, you forget old school simplicity, and if i print a nice box, i can pretend i have a real controler smiling smiley

looked at the rep sterap, and like teh woodrep, it would work with the scarps of ply i have. for linier parts, i can look in the scrap bin at tap plastics, for thick endcuts of delrin, and hmwpe, and machine it on the drill press. get 8 mm rod and bearings. , and i'm working out how i can dispense with the screws (and associated bearings) and go with spectra. for all drive components. for up and down, rig a crossover line, hmm, if gantry weight is a problem with that, wonder if i can rig a counter weight on the downside of the drive line?

for now, i'm 3dcad rendering non-compliant, (attempting to self teach freecad) so it off to the pencil, and graph paper for now, and at the risk of being so 20th century, i will likely post scans of the paper, to post the build,
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login