Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mega no longer responding to computer

Posted by dexterousfolder 
Mega no longer responding to computer
April 12, 2014 03:26PM
So, After the fiasco that ended in a fried teenyslu, I decided to go with the Ardunio Mega and RAMPS 1.4. After getting it all wired up, I connected Repetier Host and tried to move the motors. I got only buzzing noises, even after adjusting the trimpots on the steppers through their range. Scanning the reprap page for the RAMPS, I noticed the test code it listed to try out the system. I loaded it up, and immediately I got the windows disconnect sound from my laptop, the y axis moved forward about an inch, and then... nothing. Now the board isn't being detected, not even as an unknown device. Is there anything I can do? I really hope I didn't fry another board...
Re: Mega no longer responding to computer
April 13, 2014 10:24PM
Windows 7?

Uninstall all of the Arduino software and any drivers you may have installed if possible. (use windows to go back to a couple of days ago if you absolutely have to start fresh). These things are PESKY and you need everything you can to get the upper hand on 'em.

Then try plugging the Arduino in alone without your RAMPs board with no software installed(you don't need the DC power at this point). Just keep plugging it in and unplugging it until your computer recognizes it as a com port (take breaks if you have to leaving it unplugged, shut down your comp and unplug the board for 10 minutes or so). You will see this using device manager. Once it's recognized by the device manager as a com port, then right click the device and go to update drivers. Direct it to the "drivers" file from the newest arduino software you downloaded. Then restart your computer if it says it successfully installed.

I had to go through a couple of days of intermittent suicidal levels of frustration doing this process. My board would only be recognized when I first turned my computer on for the first time of the day- then if I tried restarting the computer it would show up as an unknown USB device. So I would just uninstall the device and delete the drivers and try again. You really just have to keep trying over and over until it works. Even once I got my drivers installed and got it to work a couple of times in a row it still failed once in awhile. But now everything seems fine as long as I don't unplug it while connected to the printing software. That's another thing- try printrun/pronterface instead of Repetier.

Then once you get it to be recongized somewhat consistently, install Marlin firmware using the arduino IDE with your custom config file if you have one already.

Recap: If you ever get the board to be recognized as a com port in device manager, right click properties and update drivers- just browse with "I have a cd," to the arduino 1.x.x driver file. Then install firmware.

This was nearly the most frustrating part of my entire printer building experience. But today I finally got a successful print, so don't give up. If you have any more questions, just PM me.

Oh and also if you are using a USB hub, try without it- I've even heard of different USB cables fixing the problem too.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2014 10:34PM by Istale.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login