Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

prints turn out with rugged edges

Posted by soaring eagle 
prints turn out with rugged edges
April 23, 2014 01:18PM
I built my reprap and calibrated it all but when ever I print something it will shift over the bigger the print the more it shifts and it usely shifts once and then will biuld from thier but after that the edges turn out bumpy like it is slightly shifty then going back I've looked for the belts sliping and they don't seem to be I've been missing with the current to the stepper motor current to see if that's it and I can make it worse but I can't seem to make it better
Re: prints turn out with rugged edges
April 24, 2014 01:58AM
Big shifts are normally skipping steps, turn up your stepper current on the axis its slipping on a fraction (1/8 a turn), or reduce friction (make sure things are alighted correctly and lubricated)

Small positioning errors are quite often the hot end not ridged on the extruder.
While its off and cold grab the hot end, make sure its solid with the extruder.

But im only guessing, you should really post a image with questions like this..
April 24, 2014 11:49AM
Ok thanks the hotend is loose in it so I will try to secure that but I slowed it down and that helped a lot probably because its not wobbling has much and for some reason it won't let me post pictures
April 24, 2014 12:18PM
There's a really small size limit on pictures..
April 24, 2014 04:41PM
Good software can make a fairly large image a very small file size. As an example the attached image is just under 50kb.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2014 04:42PM by tmorris9.
Attachments:
open | download - Fish-Bones-Hanger.jpg (48.7 KB)
April 24, 2014 05:02PM
Ok thanks I will try to post some pictures later today I'm busy right now
April 24, 2014 05:04PM
I've always been too lazy and just make GIFs with MS Paint.
April 24, 2014 05:09PM
I had a similar problem with my machine, but would occasionally see a huge shift in my prints (several millimeters). This first thing I did was slowed the travel speed down which did help but in hindsight it was only a band aid to the real problem. After further troubleshooting I realized my x axis was binding but only slightly (it felt a little jerky when sliding by hand). When you consider the rapid acceleration and sudden direction changes it doesn't take much binding to loose steps. This root cause ended being a bad spot(s) in my timing belt. To solve, I simply flipped the belt so that the bad spot was on the idler end of the x axis. No problems since.

I think if the belt were slipping you would notice a huge shift in your prints like I was.

In my opinion your problem probably isn't lost step or slippage but rather a repeatabilty issue. I would check is belt tension. A loose belt will allow for more backlash (and vibrations) and effect your machine's repeatability.
April 26, 2014 12:52AM
The Problem was the hotend wasn't secure so I fixed that the lines on the x axis are smooth going up but the y axis still goes one way so I started to mess with the current Agian on it and it then started to go the other direction so I just need to spend some time adjusting the current I'm planning on switching the wiring around to make the motor go the other way so it should make it start shifting the other direction if it really is the current if it doesn't then it should be the belt alignment or tension
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login