Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

putting a printer in a vacuum

Posted by AriesPrinters 
putting a printer in a vacuum
October 08, 2014 08:10AM
I was wondering if is it worth it putting a printer into a vacuum. As there will be very little oxygen there is next to no chance of a fire and the heat will have a harder time escaping from the heatbed and end. Just a thought. I would like to have prints that go over night on my Prusa i2, but I don't yet trust the open style printer with a home sodered gen 7 board.
Re: putting a printer in a vacuum
October 08, 2014 08:29AM
Air dissipates heat. You would probably have to introduce a liquid cooling system for your electronics, extruder cool end etc.
October 08, 2014 11:46AM
Seems excessive. If the only benefits are increased insulation and fire prevention, it doesn't seem worth it. At least cost wise.

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
October 08, 2014 04:00PM
I can appreciate your concerns about leaving a printer running overnight. Pulling a vacuum is not practical, but housing the printer inside a fireproof metal enclosure, say out in the garage, is do-able.
Smoke or heat detection could cut the power to the printer and trigger a blast from a CO2 extinguisher inside the enclosure.
October 13, 2014 03:03PM
Yeah, I looked further into it. Moving it into a different location and shielding it from any drafts is a lot more practical.
October 14, 2014 03:47AM
thermal fuses....smoke alarms..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2014 03:47AM by nechaus.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login