Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prusa i3 or the Smart Rap?

Posted by IndianTinker 
Prusa i3 or the Smart Rap?
October 22, 2014 02:42AM
Hi folks,
i have played with CNCs in the past and i think its really time to graduate to 3D Printers. Which one should be the first one to make? The SmartRap design is inviting in the sheer simplicity and form. Should i make a Smart Rap or go forward with making the Prusa i3 ?

And is the #IRC active?

smiling smiley

Thanks for reading!
Re: Prusa i3 or the Smart Rap?
October 22, 2014 12:27PM
I started with an smartrap, then I designed my own version of it and then went to design a i3 style one.
It is very simple yes, but has some serious flaws, specially for beginners, if you go with it be sure to get the modified one (rack and pinion or timing belts mod) there is a Russian guy that did some serious modifications to the original smartrap and seams to be really good, but don't know who can supply you with the parts.
There is a lot more info and experienced people to support you with an i3 than with an smartrap. But it is fun to experiment, and learn from mistakes, so at the end the choice is yours.
October 22, 2014 12:33PM
Here you go: [www.thingiverse.com]
Mine is also on thingiverse, but I recommend you the Russian one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2014 12:34PM by ggherbaz.
October 24, 2014 12:54AM
Thanks sir!
I really found the Rack and Pinion one quite interesting.
The official Smartrap has also upgraded to the GT2 belt making it more robust. I think i should go with the GT2 one. Rack and Pinion one seems fragile and might have repair-ability issues unless one has a spare printer.

There is little mention of specs of stepper motors used (like Torque and height, frame is a standard NMEA 17) . What are the specs of one you are using?

Thanks smiling smiley
October 24, 2014 06:49AM
It's designed to accommodate any nema 17, but will recommend not exceed 40mm in height.
I used this one (17HS4401).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login