Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Have I fried my RAMPS?

Posted by dexterousfolder 
Have I fried my RAMPS?
October 26, 2014 09:41PM
I just this morning noticed that the fan on my Prusa i3 was not running. Going further up the wires, I saw that the electrical tape at a splice had caught on the extruder gear, pulling it loose and letting the wires short. I tried several different fans on D9, but nothing works. Everything else on the printer is running fine. (except for an unrelated extruder grip issue) Have I fried a component on my RAMPS 1.4? or do I just need to reset something?
Re: Have I fried my RAMPS?
October 26, 2014 10:19PM
You might have just fried the D9 MOSFET. The MOSFET is the upright transistor that has a metal tab to which you can attach a heat sink. There are 3 on a RAMPS, one for D8, D9, and D10.If you're handy with a soldering iron, it's not that difficult to replace, and the component itself is relatively inexpensive. If there's nothing else obviously wrong, this is the approach I would take.
October 26, 2014 11:18PM
Ah, that might be it. I'll get a new MOSFET, replace it, and try that. Better to replace a single component than the whole board. Thanks!
October 27, 2014 01:49AM
While waiting for it.....
Have you got 12v on D9+ ? If so, check the bottom of the Ramps board for a damaged track

Click here to login