Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Motors work during test, but not very well during calibration

Posted by mgooch 
Motors work during test, but not very well during calibration
October 27, 2014 12:09AM
I have a strange problem going on, I couldn't find a thread specifically about this. When I run my test code in ramps 1.4 my motors move fine, very fast acually all hooked up. however when I actualy load firmware(marlin v1 via arduino 0022) and interface (tried pronter and repetier with more succes with the latter)I am having trouble getting them to move the way they should. the seem to move for a second and the start and end of a motion but in the middle motor noise just revs up a little but doesnt move, my z axis seems to be the least effected, x and y dont really move at all. I tried adjusting trimpot and have very little affect, i also adjusted the speed settings in firmware this seemed to help more but I couldnt really figure it out and didnt want to adjust things too much in fear of doing permanent damage. let me know your thoughts thanks smiling smiley the speed setting I adjusted are
// default settings

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {60,60,3500,850} // default steps per unit for Maker Farm 8" i3 Prusa {80,80,4000,945}
#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE {500, 500, 3, 30} // (mm/sec)
#define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {8000,8000,7,8000} // X, Y, Z, E maximum start speed for accelerated moves. E default values are good for skeinforge 40+, for older versions raise them a lot.

#define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION 1800 // X, Y, Z and E max acceleration in mm/s^2 for printing moves
#define DEFAULT_RETRACT_ACCELERATION 1800 // X, Y, Z and E max acceleration in mm/s^2 for retracts

thanks in advance for your time smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2014 12:33AM by mgooch.
Re: Motors work during test, but not very well during calibration
October 27, 2014 12:46AM
mgooch,
Many times the defaults in firmware are not correct or even helpful, since there are so many variants of printer. I found that with mine.

It may help to have some more info:
Which firmware are you running, what version?
Which host? (Repetier, Pronterface, Etc?)

Try setting your speeds and acceleration down by 80% just to make sure it will move and there is no overspeed/acceleration issue.
Double check the microstepping jumpers, but make sure power is off before you do.

Try some manual moves, like g0 x0 y20 f20 and then increase the distance and feedrate.

-Paul
October 27, 2014 01:54AM
thanks Paul, I am running repetier-Host c0.95f and firmware marlin v1 sprintermashup for gen 6(not sure what that last one is and compatability to ramps 1.4.) the motors that i have are minebea 1.8degree, I have none of the microstepping jumpers in, should I? the link to the specification of my motors is here [www.eminebea.com] so can I damage my motors or boards by over or under adjusting the speeds and accelerations? thanks for all your input!!
October 27, 2014 02:04AM
if it would help to see a video I could upload one smiling smiley
October 27, 2014 06:51AM
Yes. Stick the jumpers on. Your steps/mm are way to high for full stepping.
October 27, 2014 11:56AM
Like Andrew said, you need the microstepping jumpers on. The usual settings are 8 or 16 microsteps.

This also figures into your steps per MM calculation.

This may help: Triffid Hunters Calibration Guide

FYI: Some drivers will do 32 microsteps, but you can run into problems with the motors stuttering when the microcontroller maxes out it's processing power trying to put out that many steps/second.
October 29, 2014 02:34AM
Thanks so much I put the three jumpers in and presto they work also was able to calibrate my steps per unit easily using the link that paul provided [reprap.org], now im off to see how well my hollow cube comes out grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login