Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Glossy or matte

Posted by chriske 
Glossy or matte
November 13, 2014 07:26AM
Hi guys,

This is a rather tough one I suppose :

Same printer, same settings, same PLA( even same batch), same slicer(and settings)
Exactly the same part is printed on both (2) printers.
Both printers are in the same room at the same shelf printing side by side --> simultaneously.
Why is on one printer my part glossy and that same part matte printed with my second printer...???
The difference is very striking.

Chris
Re: Glossy or matte
November 13, 2014 08:36AM
One cooling fan working better than the other?
Ive recently found variations in how well the fans work even when buying 2 from the same supplier.
Seems some need more power to get going than others. Maybe they even run at different speeds.
Ive got to changevthe cooling fan i use for pla at the moment as it doesntvwant to start at a low speed.

Gordon
November 13, 2014 08:40AM
Also the thermistors have a range of 10%. So one could be real 210° the other one 230°.
November 13, 2014 10:10AM
No fan is used Gordon, never do btw.
November 13, 2014 10:29AM
I will agree with Wurstnase, your thermistors might giving different readings, one colder (matte) other hotter (gloss) .

I print a lot with PLA and I also don't use a fan, I only use it when parts required bridging. If you print slow and with low temperatures the fan isn't needed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2014 10:30AM by ggherbaz.
November 14, 2014 10:12AM
Still lowering temperature with the 'glossy one'. Matte appearance... not even close...! Temperature this moment set at 170° C.
I'll keep lowering and keep you informed.

Chris
November 14, 2014 12:38PM
PLA is glossy by nature, or at least all the parts I have printed in PLA tends to be glossy, the higher the temperature the glossier it gets. Can you post the pictures of the two parts you printed? Maybe the problem is in your matte printer?
November 14, 2014 02:04PM
Maybe one absorbed more moisture, even if you have handled them the same after you bought them there is still some time unaccounted for at the factory, just a theory.
November 14, 2014 03:01PM
When he mentioned "same PLA, same batch " I assumed he extruded his own filament, that will be the only way to establish "same PLA same batch" if this is mot correct, then there is no way to guarantee that they are of the same quality.

Now as you mentioned, whatever happened to each spool after production, might reflect the results.

Have you swapped filaments between the printers?
November 14, 2014 04:57PM
Some spools have batch numbers on them, but that is the manufactures batch number more then likely. Nothing to say that they did not just pour in a new bag of plastic pellets half way through and change the quality.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login