Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Motor whine

Posted by mk3a 
Motor whine
November 23, 2014 10:05PM
My x,y,and z axis motors whine a bit when printing and I was wondering just how much is normal?

Edit: I've read about people adjusting the voltage on their steppers, but not sure if I should mess with it, since the printer moves OK.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2014 11:33PM by mk3a.
Re: Motor whine
November 25, 2014 07:15PM
Yeah it's like a music box.... As long as your motors are not getting to hot to touch, should be okay..

You should tune your steppers so they have enough power to run but not overkill, it will slightly reduce the sound.
November 26, 2014 07:59AM
You could use the G3D stepper drivers which allow you to set the off-time of your stepper drivers to get rid of the oscillation. But it would ask of you to learn how the stepper drivers work and how to replace them. I am not sure if you want to do that. If you would ever play with the settings of the stepper drivers you currently have, I advise you to use a ceramic screwdriver, as if you do it with a metal screwdriver you run the risk of shorting your drivers and that's one way of getting them killed.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
November 26, 2014 08:45PM
Hi,

I am not sure what kind of whine you are referring to:

There is a normal "music box sound" like Nechaus explained, wich is normal especially when doing circles.
There is a real motor whine, what Ohmarinus means i think, it is more like a zooming noice ( not sure how to explain in english) wich is caused by to much current on the stepper.
The stepper should not make such noice, i dont use a multimeter to change the current, i just turn the potentiometer bit by bit untill the axis moves like it should, with no whine ( use a plastic screwdriver)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login