Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Morgan Aluminium Build

Posted by Apocalypse Boy 
Morgan Aluminium Build
December 02, 2014 11:31AM
Hi all

After a long seaarch I finally found a 3D printer that ticks all the boxes, looks and build, and fun to make. So without access to a printer( well if I go to H4H I'm sure we can make a plan) I decided to fabricate most of it from what I have.

This is pretty much the design, purly based on the Morgan with some changes to acomodate what I plan to use

So I started with the 1'st arm just to get going

I think that should be acurate enough ?

Now just welding it up and on to the next one

AB
Re: Morgan Aluminium Build
December 02, 2014 02:13PM
Hope you finish it, I want to see it done. beautiful work so far.

With the extra weight, you might consider using bigger steppers.
December 05, 2014 11:43PM
They are quite light so I don't think it will be a problem, I'll have a chat to the designer and hear what the printed bits weigh

Some more progress

I will not win a award for my welding, with a bit more sanding and paint it'll be good

December 06, 2014 02:08AM
That will look awesome when it's done! Have you checked out the polar bots sub forums? Also, in the firmware sub forum, there is an effort being made to add Morgan firmware to Teacup as an FYI.

[scara3dprinter.wordpress.com]
December 06, 2014 06:23AM
Haha, I actually like the welds! Why sand it down winking smiley

The whole idea for me is that with 3D-printing you also see the technique used in producing the object, the line-height lines, the imperfections etc. I would keep those welds in view.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
December 06, 2014 06:27AM
Had a quick squize at your work, I must say wow, some nice machining on you're project there smiling smiley
December 06, 2014 10:41AM
Thanks, I'm curious, are you going to machine the pulleys as well?

December 06, 2014 11:01AM
Evil Monkey
Thanks, I'm curious, are you going to machine the pulleys as well?

Yup, i have a large sheet of 40 mm thick Delrin and a lathe, shouldnt take too long to do smiling smiley
December 17, 2014 01:34PM
I had some time to work on it again

Boring head to cut the bearing pockets on the flat plates that don't fit in the lathe

Cutting the centre bungs for the main posts, they are 25x3 aluminium , 19.1 mm and press them in

After it is machined to 20 degrees to line up with the plates

So smooth you can't see the joint

And this is where we are now smiling smiley

December 17, 2014 03:54PM
You look very well equiped to mill and turn metal ! That will be a precision reprap for sure ! Regards.

Collective intelligence emerges when a group of people work together effectively. Prusa i3 Folger (A lot of the parts are wrong, boring !)
December 24, 2014 03:05AM
Got some more done, bottom sprockets 80% done smiling smiley next is the z build bed, it being Xmas and all, suppliers are closed so material is hard to come by now

December 24, 2014 03:43PM
Are the plates water cut?

December 24, 2014 11:06PM
Evil Monkey
Are the plates water cut?

Laser cut 3cr12, we did a big batch of 4 mm and I threw them in while we were at it
December 28, 2014 02:53PM
Got some time to do the top bearing mount

Now just to drill and tap the top plate and she's done

Started with the Z, cross beams to go and then some adjusters for the bed leveling should it be out

You can see the radiator I plan on using for the water cooled hot end, while I'm at it and all

And every machine I build must get the name

January 18, 2015 03:53PM
Any more progress on this machine?

January 25, 2015 06:01AM
Some more progress, water cooled hot end check

Mounted arms all painted

The nylon pipes are a bit stiff, I have silicone tubing and might try that

Bottom steppers

Getting there in the end smiling smiley

January 26, 2015 04:13AM
Nice work, I'm dying to see the print quality !

Collective intelligence emerges when a group of people work together effectively. Prusa i3 Folger (A lot of the parts are wrong, boring !)
April 05, 2015 12:23PM
Have you done any printing yet?

April 06, 2015 02:37AM
I REALY should updated this a bit more, after a couple of prints I realized the arms were way to heavy and had to make a plan

Went from 900 grams

To 200 grams, made a WHOLE LOT of difference

Helooooo Carbon Fiber

I had to update the firmware to use the full graphic display, but now there are some pausing issues so that tanks the Finnish .

I have set the segments per seconds down to 100 but still some issues, don't know it going down to 60 will help
April 09, 2015 01:17AM
Very nice build. I commend you for the excellent work, but I must say that it seems a bit overbuilt for the task. I'm sure you knew that, but still... great work!

Give me some help with the engineering perspective on a water cooled hot end please. I haven't seen this in a build before. What was the goal? I could see being able to print some exotic filaments that would just be too hot at the cold end with a fan approach. How fast are you pumping the water?
April 09, 2015 03:31AM
Overkill ...... For sure smiling smiley

For me Building machines is 80% of the fun, so I try new things with every machine I build.

As for the water cooling, Weight and Quietness was the end goal, I didn't want some little fan screaming its head off in my Makerspace, and now the hot end is a lot lighter and more compact . I've been water cooling PC's for yonks so this was easy,

The pump is a small fish tank unit, the plan was for a radiator, but there is so little to cool, that it isn't necessary

Next stop......LASER .... Pew Pew
May 24, 2015 01:04AM
holy smokes.
two questions?
what size that morgan, morgan pro, or morgan mega?
please tell me you in toronto or near by? love have you build me everything except arms?
May 24, 2015 01:06AM
once i get a morgan up and running, will replace arms with this filiment

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login