Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stepper cable colours and switched red - green

Posted by SteveK 
Stepper cable colours and switched red - green
December 27, 2014 05:34AM
Hi All, new to the community today. Great to be here and still time to say Merry Christmas.

I received a Prusa i3 for Christmas - fitted down the chimney with a little help - and I have completed assembly but I have a problem with the cable colour coding for the Stepper motors.

The cables at the Stepper end are of the cable in this order:

blue - red - green - black

But at the other end are:

blue - green - red - black i.e the red and green are switched

Should I switch the inner two ?

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2014 06:21AM by SteveK.
Re: Stepper cable colours and switched red - green
December 27, 2014 12:34PM
Check your resistance at the motor to see how they pair up.
December 27, 2014 02:58PM
Thanks - yes done this now.
At the stepper end the two inside wires are a loop and the two outside wires are a loop.
At the board end they are side by side loops. So that's why the two inner wires are switched - to match the board.

I found a note in the documentation that says to only follow the black cable and the other s will be correct.

However I have now connected everything up but when I power up all i get is a slowly flashing LCD with no content. If I plug in an SD card then the flashing slows.

This is a Prusa i3 Hephestos which I believe comes with firmware installed and configured. There is no documentation for software installation other than for upgrading new firmware. i.e. not as part of initial assembly.

Any ideas on this ? I don't imagine that the stepper connections should affect the start up ??

Thanks again
Steve
December 27, 2014 05:43PM
Use pronterface or Repitier host to link up. If the firmware is installed, you should be able to control your printer.

pron

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2014 05:44PM by jrcaster.
December 28, 2014 10:51AM
That cable config look right...

Its the same as mine.

1st cable paired with 3rd and 2nd with 4th
December 28, 2014 12:34PM
Thanks for all the input - printer now up and running - next challenge is to get the printout to stick to the bed. Heated bed on the way but not here yet spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login