Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

CAD files and drawings on the mechanics

Posted by Michail 
CAD files and drawings on the mechanics
May 17, 2010 02:04PM
Hello there

I intend to build a Mendel and since I live in Sweden it seems that my best option is to manufacture the components myself.

I did manage to find some solid models on the components, but they were not in any format I can use.

If someone could make the 3D models available in STEP or Pro/Engineer (preferrably Wilfire 3.0) format, I would happily make a nice pack of 2D drawings of them and publish here.

Or if they are already available as DWG, DXF or PDF drawings, where do I find them?

Thank you,

/Michail

sincerely
Re: CAD files and drawings on the mechanics
May 18, 2010 02:06AM
May 18, 2010 03:38AM
Thanks, nice pictures!

I was thinking more of real drawings though. With dimensions and stuff.

I can make those, I do it all days long at work. I even have proper CAD licenses because I run a mechanical design company myself. So if I could get hold of some pertinent data I can make a nice stack of PDFs with paper drawings that can be given to the gnomes at mechanical workshops and they can mill and drill the components without as much as a frown.

I did download the STL files from the Wiki, but they are quite lacking. Like with plate thicknesses of 9.96 mm and such. I'm guessing that they were not made with a parametric CAD system but rather drawn free form. But I'll take it from there and reconstruct the components in Pro/Engineer, figure out where they are going, and see if I understand the design intent and if there are any critical dimensions.
May 18, 2010 07:45PM
I' pretty sure those drawings were meant to be templates when printed...
May 19, 2010 05:02AM
Do you mean printed as in "Mendel" or printed as in "HP Laserjet"?

Because the term "drawing" to me usually means something like this:
A typical drawing

And I offer to make a bunch of such drawings and publish them here if I can get hold of some proper CAD models to start with.

Otherwise I will have to reverse engineer the machine from what I have, which makes the work an order of magnitude more arduous and involves a bit of guessing. As it seems, this is what I will have to do though.
May 20, 2010 02:11AM
print as in laserjet
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login