Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Filament extruder recomendations

Posted by tanner331 
Filament extruder recomendations
January 21, 2015 08:55PM
Hi
I have a Reprap Rostock 3d printer and I keep having issues with the extruder slipping on the filament, this then causes the filament to stop feeding. I am wondering if there is a different extruder I can use to prevent this problem. The extruder has to have a bowden tube mount because the design of the Rostock 3d printer only allows for a bowden mount. I currently use an AIRTRIPPER BOWDEN EXTRUDER V3 extruder, a Mk8 drive gear, and a E3D v6 hotend. I also bought a hobbed bolt so I can build a extruder that uses drive gear or a hobbed bolt.
Thanks
Tanner
Re: Filament extruder recomendations
January 22, 2015 01:49AM
January 22, 2015 11:51AM
tanner331
Hi
I have a Reprap Rostock 3d printer and I keep having issues with the extruder slipping on the filament, this then causes the filament to stop feeding. I am wondering if there is a different extruder I can use to prevent this problem. The extruder has to have a bowden tube mount because the design of the Rostock 3d printer only allows for a bowden mount. I currently use an AIRTRIPPER BOWDEN EXTRUDER V3 extruder, a Mk8 drive gear, and a E3D v6 hotend. I also bought a hobbed bolt so I can build a extruder that uses drive gear or a hobbed bolt.
Thanks
Tanner

Are you using PLA?

Please add your printer design to [reprap.org]
January 22, 2015 11:56AM
I use both ABS and PLA This problem occurs more with PLA but it also occurs with the ABS.
January 22, 2015 03:01PM
tanner331
I use both ABS and PLA This problem occurs more with PLA but it also occurs with the ABS.

I'd say your main problem is the E3D, it's terrible with PLA and likely jamming and causing the extruder to strip the filament.

January 22, 2015 03:52PM
tjb1
tanner331

I'd say your main problem is the E3D, it's terrible with PLA and likely jamming and causing the extruder to strip the filament.

Sorry but I would have to disagree re the E3D being bad with PLA as long as it is an original one that is (The clones may be a different thing) I have had no issues with PLA with mine at all.
January 22, 2015 04:08PM
dougal1957
tjb1
tanner331

Sorry but I would have to disagree re the E3D being bad with PLA as long as it is an original one that is (The clones may be a different thing) I have had no issues with PLA with mine at all.

You're one of few then, posts everywhere about PLA trouble I have myself gave up on it for PLA.

January 23, 2015 04:09AM
+1 for a good geared extruder like the white one posted above.
tanner331
I currently use an AIRTRIPPER BOWDEN EXTRUDER V3 extruder, a Mk8 drive gear, and a E3D v6 hotend.
You mean that extruder with a piece of hose instead of inexpensive spings ? Well, if we're talking about the same extruder, I'm not surprized at all.

Collective intelligence emerges when a group of people work together effectively. Prusa i3 Folger (A lot of the parts are wrong, boring !)
January 23, 2015 07:37AM
Zavashier
+1 for a good geared extruder like the white one posted above.
tanner331
I currently use an AIRTRIPPER BOWDEN EXTRUDER V3 extruder, a Mk8 drive gear, and a E3D v6 hotend.
You mean that extruder with a piece of hose instead of inexpensive spings ? Well, if we're talking about the same extruder, I'm not surprized at all.

The hose is actually going to give you more pressure in most cases, springs of that size that can give the same pressure as the hose are not easy to find and won't be available in most hardware stores. There is nothing wrong with the Airtripper, I ran one on a Kossel for over a year. The problem here is the E3D, this hotend can be especially hard to use on a bowden if you are doing long retracts. My V5 E3D got to the point I couldn't even print PLA using a geared wades with a hyena drive bolt at temperatures from 170-280. Yes it was torn apart and cleaned.

If you are not printing Polycarbonate or other high temperature filaments, there is no reason for you to be using the E3D.

January 23, 2015 08:28AM
I appreciate you're a happy user, I've finaly met 1 enthusiast user. Today I know better people with issues with that hose that cannot deliver constant pressure, especialy with heat issues. The specifications will be significantly different in Alaska or California, it's easy to understand if you try. Both changed for springs. Today you can find any linear spring you like through the web or any automotive spare parts seller. What's the benefit of a hose tightener for the user ? IMHO using plastic hoses are a fake good idea. Saves money for the manufacturer, brings possible problems to the user. I believe on Murphy's law. When something can go wrong, it will.

Collective intelligence emerges when a group of people work together effectively. Prusa i3 Folger (A lot of the parts are wrong, boring !)
January 23, 2015 10:55AM
Zavashier
I appreciate you're a happy user, I've finaly met 1 enthusiast user. Today I know better people with issues with that hose that cannot deliver constant pressure, especialy with heat issues. The specifications will be significantly different in Alaska or California, it's easy to understand if you try. Both changed for springs. Today you can find any linear spring you like through the web or any automotive spare parts seller. What's the benefit of a hose tightener for the user ? IMHO using plastic hoses are a fake good idea. Saves money for the manufacturer, brings possible problems to the user. I believe on Murphy's law. When something can go wrong, it will.

What manufacturer? Airtripper is open source, you build it at home. Like I said before, you are not going to get a spring with enough pressure anywhere locally. That hose will apply all the pressure you need and is available anywhere.

Do you work for Folger? You should know better than to make/advertise/buy a printer from acrylic but instead you come here to criticize using a hose to provide idler pressure against filament. Your printer will soon be broken pieces scattered across the desk but the hose will continue to apply tension to the filament.

January 23, 2015 01:41PM
Are you the airtripper's designer ? That could explain a lot you cannot admit contradiction. You overflyed my signature without reading it. winking smiley The airtipper I talk about was bought through ebay, I guess somebody may manufacture it... You're absolutely delight by Airtripper's extruder, it's fine to me. Please appreciate a significant amount of people had issues with it. You'll say that manufacturer does not follow the specs or whatever, and yours works fine. Good. Use the find section of this forum if you don't trust me. I don't criticize, as you friendly says, but I argue that a hose cannot replace a spring because of the material it is made out. Except expensive (and not easy to find localy) high pressure hoses, I don't know any hose that can stay in shape under continuous pinching.Plastics, rubber don't have the same elasticity and plasticity depending of temperature, and raw material's lack of memory. So it cannot be an equivalent of a metal spring which is much more stable and linear. The good vitamin to provide idler pressure, if you like. I guess you can find spare parts for cars localy anywhere on earth, but desert or jungle. I understand your may desagree, it's ok I respect your point of view. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2015 01:42PM by Zavashier.

January 25, 2015 07:28AM
Hi Tanner,

There are several things to consider here.

1) The extruder is slipping because of poor spring (tube) pressure.

2) The extruder gear is slipping on the motor shaft or hobbed bolt.

3) The filament is changing size through your print... if it gets smaller, and the bearing does not maintain force on the filament, it will slip.

4) The motor is loosing steps during a print (current too low or chip overheating).

5) The force to push filament through the hot end is greater than the extruder can handle.

Each of the above can have multiple possible causes.

1) Extruded Filament Slipping...

Several things must happen for the extruder to work. A) The filament must flow freely through the extruder body (when not being gripped by the bobbed bolt and bearing). cool smiley The bearing must be free to move against the filament without obstruction (with no filament there, the bearing should move to touch the hobbed bolt). C) The hobbed bolt must be hobbed. D) The hobbed bolt must not be hobbed deeper than the filament diameter.

2) Extruder Gear Slipping...

A) The extruder gear slipping on the motor shaft is a real possibility. You could mark the gear and shaft face with an ink marker and check later to see if they have shifted during a print. cool smiley The hobbed bolt is not likely to slip if the hex head of the bolt is seated in the molded plastic gear.

3) Filament Size

There's good and bad filament out there. If you don't have a set of calipers, get some. You need to know your filament diameter from roll to roll if you ever want good prints. We all put up with small changes in diameter, but if the extruder can't physically move against the filament to follow those diameter changes, you'll have problems.

4) Motor Loosing Steps...

Check current settings. Do you have heat sinks on the motor drivers? Check motor connections. Are wired connections to the motor being pulled on during a print? Is the motor over-heating (too much current). Is the print bad throughout does it show good layers and bad layers of printing?

5) Too hard to push filament...

You should be able to push filament through your hot end by hand with moderate pressure and watch it squirt out. If you have to really push hard then so does your extruder. I have the E3D v6 and I love it. You made a good choice. But how do we really know what temperature it is set at? If we chose the wrong thermistor setting in firmware, it may work but it may never work well. Or they could have sent you the wrong thermistor by mistake. How would you know? The suggested numbers they give on the hot end temperature are just that... suggested. Try warming the hot end up a bit and again by hand, push some filament through it. See if you feel a difference. If you're constantly shredding filament at your extruder then either the hot end is too cold, the tip is getting plugged, your not gripping the filament properly by the extruder, or you're trying to push too much filament too fast through the extruder.

Where to start?

If you can tie a nice heavy book to your filament and watch your extruder lift if off the floor (while disconnected from the hot end), then your extruder is working... maybe not perfect, but working. I would be checking your settings on how much filament your trying to push through the extruder. If you are trying to push too much too fast, it will shred your filament all day long. Also run some filament through your hot end by hand and see if it squirts out freely. If it's too hard to push by hand then focus your attention there.

If it prints great at first then something seems to change, then ask yourself why. Is it getting harder to push filament through your hot end? Is something preventing the filament from coming off the roll? is the extruder driver overheating? Has the hobbed bolt been slipping all along and slowly filling the hobbed bolt with crap so that it can't pull filament any more? Is the hot end staying hot? Is trash building up in the hot end from dirty filament?

I hope this helps!

Best of luck!

Ross

You don't need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
February 02, 2015 06:24PM
Just wanna note that while the E3D v5 was infamous for jamming with PLA, the v6 is far better in that respect. So, don't let the company's past color your opinions of the current hotends.
February 02, 2015 07:33PM
I have a similar setup and maybe my experience will help.

I have a Rostock Mini with a bowden extruder and I am also using the airtripper design. I originally thought the filament was slipping, but it turned out the motor was kicking backwards because it couldn't generate enough torque to move the filament. I'm switching to a planetary gear design as it is more reliable, especially when printing at higher speeds that demand more torque from the extruder.

If it is actually slipping, one thing you can do to improve the hose's elasticity is to fill the hose with silicone caulk (after disassembling the extruder of course). Then poke a couple holes through it for the screws and let it sit around for a few days to cure fully (the inside tends to remain liquid long after the exterior has solidified, so poking holes in it should help). Afterward it can take a lot more pressure without crushing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2015 07:41PM by mk3a.
February 02, 2015 09:35PM
mk3a
I have a similar setup and maybe my experience will help.

I have a Rostock Mini with a bowden extruder and I am also using the airtripper design. I originally thought the filament was slipping, but it turned out the motor was kicking backwards because it couldn't generate enough torque to move the filament. I'm switching to a planetary gear design as it is more reliable, especially when printing at higher speeds that demand more torque from the extruder.

If it is actually slipping, one thing you can do to improve the hose's elasticity is to fill the hose with silicone caulk (after disassembling the extruder of course). Then poke a couple holes through it for the screws and let it sit around for a few days to cure fully (the inside tends to remain liquid long after the exterior has solidified, so poking holes in it should help). Afterward it can take a lot more pressure without crushing.

I replaced the hose with 2 metal springs and that seemed to fix the slipping problem, but now it is kicking the filament backwards, like what you are describing, for the first couple of layers. I am going to try a richrap geared extruder. I am working on designing a bracket to hold it so I don't have to drill any more holes in my frame.
What planetary gear extruder are you trying?
Thanks
Tanner
February 03, 2015 06:06PM
Right now I am switching to a motor I have lying around that has built in planetary gears. I don't like the extruder design for it though (It's the one that came with my printer.)

Eventually, I want to redo the airtripper design to fit the bolt pattern on that motor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2015 06:07PM by mk3a.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login