Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Best hot-end for fast printing?

Posted by FalloutBe 
Best hot-end for fast printing?
February 16, 2015 07:30PM
Hello,

I want to buy a good hot-end for fast printing for 1.75mm filament and +-0.4mm nozzle.
Am I correct if I'm looking only for hot-ends which have a long heating length?
I also want to be able to print Nylon with this, so high temperatures are also a must!

I found the pico hot-end; it has a long heating area which should help for fast printing. However it seems to be quite expensive.
The E3D volcano hot-end also seems promising but it's nozzles only go as small as 0.6mm
Any ideas?
Re: Best hot-end for fast printing?
February 16, 2015 08:01PM
What do you mean by "fast" - have you a speed in mind?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
February 17, 2015 03:05AM
FalloutBe
Hello,

I want to buy a good hot-end for fast printing for 1.75mm filament and +-0.4mm nozzle.
Am I correct if I'm looking only for hot-ends which have a long heating length?
I also want to be able to print Nylon with this, so high temperatures are also a must!

I found the pico hot-end; it has a long heating area which should help for fast printing. However it seems to be quite expensive.
The E3D volcano hot-end also seems promising but it's nozzles only go as small as 0.6mm
Any ideas?

Try the E3D V6 nozzles go from 0.25 up to 0.8 and with a thermocouple (As supplied by RepRapWporld) is capable of going very hot but 290 as std is easy as well.

The Volcano is a modification to the E3D V6 by the way

HTH Doug
February 17, 2015 04:18AM
dc42
What do you mean by "fast" - have you a speed in mind?
I was thinking of higher than 200mm/s (this on a 200 to 50 micron layer height and with a 0.4mm nozzle)

dougal1957

Try the E3D V6 nozzles go from 0.25 up to 0.8 and with a thermocouple (As supplied by RepRapWporld) is capable of going very hot but 290 as std is easy as well.

The Volcano is a modification to the E3D V6 by the way

HTH Doug
This one also seems nice, but I saw in some videos that the fan mount is sitting quite loosely around the metal cooling fins?
And the length of the heating area is nowhere near as long as for example the pico hot-end.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2015 04:19AM by FalloutBe.
February 17, 2015 06:41AM
FalloutBe
And the length of the heating area is nowhere near as long as for example the pico hot-end.

If you trust RichRap's opinion, the long melt zone is a BAD thing:

http://reprapmagazine.com/

Check out Issue 3, page 54 for his opinions on the Pico hotend.....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login