Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Y-Axis Issues (resolved)

Posted by BenBB 
Y-Axis Issues (resolved)
March 14, 2015 05:02AM
Hi All
Not sure why it is called Y-AXIS, as this seems to me like it should be X-Axis.... any way, that is the left right movement of the table....
I use the Proterface app to check the printer, I cannot seem to set the Y-Axis home pos. I click the Y-Home, but it always creeps more towards the left and never seems to repeat the same pos.
How does one calibrate the Y-Pos as there are no instructions the Calibration section of the ORMEROD2
X and Z always return to the correct place but not Y
What is the purpose of the limit switch if it is far right but the bend never reach there, I would have though that the limit switch would be the "HOME" start point...
If I click on the CENTER button, the head runs to the center of the bed, which is correct, but then if I click HOME it stops WAY off from home...basically the head retracts to its home pos, the table makes a 10mm movement and then Z drops to above the plate, YET it`s far from the left top corner....

Any suggestions ?

Where is X=0,Y=0 supposed to be ?? Facing from the front of the device, is it left top corner or right top corner,

Tx Ben

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2015 08:45AM by BenBB.
Re: Y-Axis Issues
March 15, 2015 01:06AM
X0 Y0 usually are where the switches are, but you can set them as you please as long as you understand the principles. Now HOME is always at the switches.

If you are homing Y and it is not doing it, then you have issues with the switch on its logic or wiring. If when you home Y and the bed goes opposite to where the switch is you need to either flip wires in the motor or change direction in the firmware.

On pronterface run M119 without any axis at "Home" position, all switches should show open, if anyone shows triggered check wires and if they are OK then flip logic in firmware.
Re: Y-Axis Issues (resolved)
March 15, 2015 08:49AM
It seems that the issue is the G codes that set the home positions, after setting them, the axis will NOT pass by that point, if you set the middle of the table to be X0,Y0 then the table will not pass that point if you say G1 Y-50 S1... for example.
G1 Y-200 S1 the S setting does not work, it does not wan to move the y Axis...
However I found a way round it, I simply manually move the table to the correct pos and then click home all, somewhere I read that there are bugs in the homing code...some Mxxx not working, it gives offset error.
Tx Ben
Re: Y-Axis Issues (resolved)
March 15, 2015 09:18AM
BenBB
It seems that the issue is the G codes that set the home positions, after setting them, the axis will NOT pass by that point, if you set the middle of the table to be X0,Y0 then the table will not pass that point if you say G1 Y-50 S1... for example.
G1 Y-200 S1 the S setting does not work, it does not wan to move the y Axis...
However I found a way round it, I simply manually move the table to the correct pos and then click home all, somewhere I read that there are bugs in the homing code...some Mxxx not working, it gives offset error.
Tx Ben

Hi Ben, a few points:

1. There is a separate forum for Ormerod, so questions relating specifically to the Ormerod such as this one are best asked there.

2. By default, once the printer is homed the firmware will not allow the head to move outside the X or Y axis limits. The maximum limits are set by the M208 command in config.g. In the standard RepRapPro firmware, the minimum limits are 0. In my firmware fork, you can also set the minimum limits with the M208 command. So if you want the centre of the bed to be (0, 0) then I suggest you use my fork. A full list of differences between my fork and the RepRapPro original can be found at [github.com]. The binaries are in [github.com].

3. You can also use the M564 command to allow movement outside the X and Y axis limits.

4. On the Ormerod, the standard place for X=0 Y=0 when looking from the front of the machine is with the head over the back left corner of the bed.

Hope the helps!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2015 09:20AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login