Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Motor only turns with full stepping

Posted by mrn26 
Motor only turns with full stepping
March 18, 2015 03:05AM
I'm using ramps1.4 with DRV8825's and I can get the motors to turn with the ramps testcode aswell as with manual controll in repetier host, but when I try any jumper pins the motor no longer will turn. I want to use either 1/8 or 1/16 stepping.

Also I when run the motors for more then 30 seconds, the DRV8825's start getting really hot, I'm pretty sure the thermal protection starts to kick In, because the motors seam to stop and start. I turned the pot to the lowest point I can (while allowing it to still move).

Am I missing something really easy here?

Thanks
Re: Motor only turns with full stepping
March 18, 2015 03:00PM
when i run the test code the motors run for 30 seconds and then the thermal shutdown kicks in and the motor pauses for a couple seconds and then starts again.
March 19, 2015 10:45AM
All the jumpers need to be set in the Ramps board, without any you will have only full turns.
March 19, 2015 10:59AM
Check speed, acceleration, and jerk settings- set all low to start. Set the current control pot about mid turn to start- if the thing is overheating you probably have the current set to max, not min. Check wires and make sure you haven't shorted any of the motor leads. Make sure the jumper settings on the board match the steps/mm setting in the firmware.
March 19, 2015 12:46PM
i tried with all 3 jumpers inserted, but I will try the jerk settings, etc.

It seems the bigger problem right now is the over heating. I have the pot set all the way to the left but it still over heats.
March 19, 2015 01:45PM
Turn the pot to mid position and try again. You may think it is at min current but maybe it's actually set to max.
If it is truly at minimum current position and the driver is overheating, and you haven't shorted the motor leads, the driver is probably dead.
March 19, 2015 04:16PM
so it turns out the geetech DRV8825 drivers im using have to be turned to the right to decrease current...go figure smiling smiley i still have to test and see if that solved the microstepping problem and ill get back
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login