Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anybody tried these closed self lubricating bearings with teflon

Posted by tmorris9 
Anybody tried these closed self lubricating bearings with teflon
March 19, 2015 09:11PM
[www.pbclinear.com]

I am going to try a few of these to replace my igus bearings. The igus ones are too sloppy and while they are quiet you can't travel too fast or the print gets ringing i it.

They told me that they are being used in consumer 3D printers as well as ones from Stratasys and 3D systems. The are a drop in replacement for the LM10UU bearing

I am going to but 3 (@ $12.85ea.) and try them on my X-axis to see how they work. I just hope there is little to no slop like the igus bearings I have.

But I am just curios if anybody has already tried them and what they think.
Re: Anybody tried these closed self lubricating bearings with teflon
March 19, 2015 10:16PM
Make sure the rails are smooth as glass. If there's any surface irregularity on the guide rails it will chew up the teflon.
March 19, 2015 10:50PM
The rails are smooth. It's never had steel bearings only the plastic igus ones and even then it's only about 5 months of use so far.
March 20, 2015 08:14AM
Measure the diameters of the guide rails- I've heard stories of 8mm guide rails from China being not quite 8mm. That may be why the Igus bearings were sloppy and may be why the teflon bearings will be also.
March 20, 2015 05:44PM
the_digital_dentist
Measure the diameters of the guide rails- I've heard stories of 8mm guide rails from China being not quite 8mm. That may be why the Igus bearings were sloppy and may be why the teflon bearings will be also.

These are 10mm and it's on my TAZ 4, pretty sure it's not China junk. Good news is the company that makes those bearings was nice enough to offer me a free sample. I will report back on how they work.
March 21, 2015 01:51AM

3 (@ $12.85ea.)

Wow, that is expensive. I print my own with nylon (2 cents each?) and change them as needed. very quiet and reliable..... As you can see I'm cheap spinning smiley sticking its tongue out But I haven't lost any printing quality compare to LM8UU.

Those should be excellent bearings for that price tag.
March 21, 2015 02:47AM
ggherbaz

3 (@ $12.85ea.)

Wow, that is expensive. I print my own with nylon (2 cents each?) and change them as needed. very quiet and reliable..... As you can see I'm cheap spinning smiley sticking its tongue out But I haven't lost any printing quality compare to LM8UU.

In the RepRap world that is expensive but not the most expensive by far. I saw some ball bearing types that were $45 each and I still can't figure out why.

That being said I now rely on my printer for business and want to improve it's printing and I don't want to work on it all the time, so for me it makes sense to buy something that will do that, the fact that the company is going to send my my first 3 for free is a major bonus.
April 05, 2015 02:48AM
I received a sample from PBC Linear using the Simplicity bearing on a Simplicity shaft. This is the combination recommended by PBC Linear. These things are silky smooth. These are not the same as the bushings you mention, these are much more robust. One bearing will set you back $20+. For 2 per axis your at $120 in bearings. But this would virtually eliminate all slop.

Thomson offers a similar bearing for under $20. Regardless of brand, buy the bearing/shaft combo to ensure compatibility. With these types of bearings, you can use an aluminum shaft.

You can find both brands at Grainger
April 09, 2015 04:10AM
ggherbaz

Do you have a stl file for the bearings you are printing yourself.. ? smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login