Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Upgrading printer enclosure

Posted by anvoice 
Upgrading printer enclosure
April 14, 2015 11:41PM
Hello everyone,

Hope to discuss a topic here that could also be helpful to others without the benefit of a native heated chamber on their machine. Like many struggling with ABS warping, I resorted to building an enclosure around my Prusa i3, out of cardboard tube and plastic wrap:

Cheap, easy to make, does the job. However, besides being annoying to adjust, it has minimal aesthetic quality. Thus, hoping to upgrade to something reasonable. I don't have much woodworking experience though, nor a huge budget for the build. My thoughts at the moment are to use some aluminum angles with some kind of material clipped on by magnets. However, I'm having a bit of trouble finding a good, inexpensive material for the job. The best I've found so far is 20 gauge (about half a millimiter) clear vinyl for around $6 a yard, 54" wide. About 2 yards will be enough to fully enclose my printer along with the filament, and a few more could do the same for a new machine I'm in the process of building. Benefits: tough, clear, heat-resistant, fairly cheap. Downsides: no rigidity, don't know how well it'll keep the heat compared to something like a wood cabinet (probably better than plastic wrap though).

Anyone have alternative ideas?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2015 11:42PM by anvoice.
Re: Upgrading printer enclosure
April 15, 2015 07:30AM
Foam insulation board is cheap and cuts with a razor knife. You can tape it together or use printed plastic clips...

[www.thingiverse.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login