Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Please Please Help - Problem with Power Supply - SOLVED

Posted by fatesalign 
Please Please Help - Problem with Power Supply - SOLVED
May 02, 2015 01:31PM
Hello everyone. If anyone's been following some of my posts, you will know that I've been trying to put together a prusa i3. Everyone has been such great help! I'm just really almost done with this. I finally got my 4th stepper motor wire yesterday.Then last night when I was trying everything out, the power was working, though for some reason, none of the stepper motors were working. Then today, I wake up and plug in the unit to the wall, and it just doesn't turn on. The fan that's plugged directly to power doesn't, as well as the power supply doesn't light up blue like it did last night. I checked all the wires, and everything checks out. I've included some images of the power supply and motherboard. If anyone can help, please do. I'm almost to the point of having to send it back, but I really don't want to.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2015 01:00AM by MattMoses.
Re: Please Please Help
May 02, 2015 07:11PM
Hello again.
I must admit, it's fun trying to sort out problems when they're not my own ;-)

I wonder if you have a multimeter? You can get a pretty good one for not much money nowadays. If you don't have one, get one. It will be indispensable in sorting out these problems (and setting up stepper motors etc).
If you do have one, Have you checked the output of the supply? Is it zero, or something else? I would disconnect the cables at the output of the supply to see if the problem is with the power supply or what it is driving. Of course, check the voltage at the input terminals of the power supply, just in case you did something dumb like terminate onto the wire's insulation instead of the bare strands, or if the mains is missing or sick.
May 02, 2015 07:47PM
blabbersnitch
Hello again.
I must admit, it's fun trying to sort out problems when they're not my own ;-)

I wonder if you have a multimeter? You can get a pretty good one for not much money nowadays. If you don't have one, get one. It will be indispensable in sorting out these problems (and setting up stepper motors etc).
If you do have one, Have you checked the output of the supply? Is it zero, or something else? I would disconnect the cables at the output of the supply to see if the problem is with the power supply or what it is driving. Of course, check the voltage at the input terminals of the power supply, just in case you did something dumb like terminate onto the wire's insulation instead of the bare strands, or if the mains is missing or sick.
Okay, I did have a multimeter, and I found that the 120v are going in just fine, but none of the 12v outlets are working. Then, I found that as I was fumbling around, it worked. Next, I unplugged it, and plugged it back in. It didn't work. I then hit it, and it did. After unplugging it and plugging it back in, nothing seems to work. I will say that around 23v were coming out of it, but it says it's supposed to output 12v. I included a picture of the inside. If you have any ideas, let me know.

May 02, 2015 07:49PM
I think I found it! The switch inside was set to 220v for some reason.
Edit: it was that! That was it. Everything works now! That explains why the motors didn't work. It couldn't give it enough power because it thought it was getting 220v

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2015 08:16PM by fatesalign.
Re: Please Please Help - Problem with Power Supply - SOLVED
May 03, 2015 01:03AM
Hi fatesalign, I'm glad you got it working. smiling smiley Thank you very much for posting the solution to the problem. This adds value to the forum and it will help people in the future who might have a similar problem. Note: I edited the subject line of your original post so that it is more descriptive of the problem.
Re: Please Please Help - Problem with Power Supply - SOLVED
May 03, 2015 01:23AM
MattMoses
Hi fatesalign, I'm glad you got it working. smiling smiley Thank you very much for posting the solution to the problem. This adds value to the forum and it will help people in the future who might have a similar problem. Note: I edited the subject line of your original post so that it is more descriptive of the problem.
Great thank you. I hope it does help someone some day. Just make 100% sure that the power isn't plugged in when you do this and you know what you are doing. This can kill you.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2015 01:24AM by fatesalign.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login