Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Noob Mendel assembly help

Posted by Uncas 
Noob Mendel assembly help
July 08, 2010 03:58PM
Hi all,

While I'm a relatively savvy guy when it comes to software (I'm a videogame developer) I'm brand new to the reprap universe and might be considered "mechanically challenged" when it comes to nuts and bolts building (pun intended).

I've got a full kit, all parts, electronics, etc. for a Mendel --- now I just need to throw it all together (sic).

Does anyone know of a good set of assembly videos/images/walk throughs? I did manage to get the box unpacked so that's a plus, but now I'm staring at what my friend described as an Ikea nightmare extraordinaire.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers - Josh
Re: Noob Mendel assembly help
July 09, 2010 12:44AM
What type of kit is it. RP, Lasercut from Botmill, Isaac, Ponoko lasercut?

If it's RP go to youtube
[www.youtube.com]

I uploaded a video showing all the steps.

repraplogphase.blogspot.com
July 09, 2010 12:36PM
Thanks for the reply!

I don't honestly know which type (my noob-ness surfaces.... smiling smiley I believe it's laser cut, I got the kit from the guys at: [techzonecom.com]

I did see those videos but I think my kit is a bit different. Is it reasonable to assume they are close enough such that the difference between the "RP" and (guessing) laser cut would allow me to follow the videos? the parts look similar, though I'd have to frame my way through it to be sure.

Any other info would be great - as in, what type do I have from Techzonecom.com and are there any videos specific to building it.

This said I was able to assemble the Y idler by referring to the pictures at: [reprap.org].

Maybe "all" I need to do is follow those assembly images? That said, even putting the Y Idler together raised questions, like: How tight should the screws be? Do the bearings need to float or should the be relatively or firmly tight against the main piece?

Thoughts?
July 09, 2010 09:40PM
July 15, 2010 01:04AM
I am in mostly the same boat, just got a laser cut mendel kit from http://botmill.com .

I've searched the reprap wiki and found most of the pages there I think. The lc-mendel page linked above is fine but seems to gloss over lots (like a single picture for the x-axis assembly) and ends quick (no electronics). The general mendel assembly guide at http://reprap.org/wiki/How_to_make_RepRap_Version_II_Mendel is thorough, covers software downloading, controller testing, and everything. But I still have questions about the details of washers and ribbon cable assembly, sometimes laser cut or techzone remix electronics specific questions that seeing an example might clear up.

So can anyone recommend another good detailed page or video series for a techzone / botmill lc mendel?
July 15, 2010 09:07AM
I am on the last leg of my mendel build and have had many setbacks, including my most recent one with electronics. One thing I have found out is that there is not an all inclusive guide that will offer everything you need. I got stuck on a lot of basic easy things that I could not find the answer for so I surged ahead with what I thought would be right. Only to have to take half the machine apart to fix. Don't use thread locker until you are done and then go back and lock pieces once you have calibrated your machine.

There are a bunch of wiki pages up that should cover most of the things you need to know. Many cover the same things though with a few different things thrown in at the end. I have been meaning to take a ton of pictures of my lasercut mendel, up close and at different angles. But I am self conscious because I had to make some cob job fixes. Like cutting paper clips to use as stilts for leveling the build plate. Many of my lasercut pieces were cut slanted so they have a parallelogram profile (including the Z pulleys), so things did not want to go together evenly.
Chris A
July 25, 2010 03:03PM
I've also been searching around on the wiki for assembly instructions. There's really none to speak of that are of any real help. It's like whoever did that series of pictures just didn't take into account the rest of us have no real idea of how the thing is constructed. We don't have this person's experience of building our own reprap or mendel. I have no idea how to edit the wiki or I'd put up a more comprehensive guide to mechanical construction.

There is, however, an unofficial build sequence on youtube.
[www.youtube.com] is the first video in the build sequence.
It's split up into parts. I found this one to be helpful in mechanical construction. It's for the printed reprap parts but some of the construction is the same if you have a lasercut wood set (which is what I have).

As for the electronics...definitely not my forte. There is a youtube video with a general rundown of electronics wiring for the gen1 electronics.
[www.youtube.com] is the link for that. It gives a bit more clues also to some mechanical construction. As this video is for gen1 electronics, it's proobbly not a lot of help for gen2 and gen3 motherboard and extruder controllers (I have the gen 3). I can't find any reference for the gen3 wiring so beware if you have those.

I haven't gotten to calibration because of the gen3 electronics wiring problem. It's still sitting on my workbench and I'm searching on my computer for a solution. Been that way for at least 2 weeks.

Anyway I hope this helps and if anyone can find any wiring info for the gen3 electronics, it would be greatly appreciated by probably more than just me.
July 26, 2010 03:55AM
Chris A
As this video is for gen1 electronics, it's probably not a lot of help for gen2 and gen3 motherboard and extruder controllers (I have the gen 3). I can't find any reference for the gen3 wiring so beware if you have those.

The video that you show is exactly the same as on the Mendel Electronic Wiring wiki page and is of course for the Mendel Gen 3 electronics!

What is it that you don't understand from the Mendel Electronic Wiring wiki page? confused smiley

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
July 26, 2010 05:14AM
Be gentle, Bob. drinking smiley

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
July 26, 2010 05:40AM
@SebastienBailard: I thought I was being gentle... eye rolling smiley

I found the instructions very clear.

Many people forget the step/dir wires from the motherboard to the extruder controller but these are clearly shown in the block wiring diagram at the top of the page. They are however not mentioned in Adrian's wiring video.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
Chris A
July 26, 2010 09:45AM
Well what I have is an electronics kit from techzonecom.com.
[www.techzonecom.com] There are some pictures there.
They have different connector types and the boards are smaller and configured differently than the ones I've seen in videos and on the wiki.
To add to that, there is no labeling on the boards as to what pins are what. Also, they used a lot of pins that the connectors can plug into both ways. There's a lot of room for error that way and I'm just trying to avoid having to buy new parts due to a stupid wiring error that could have been avoided with a proper wiring diagram and labeling.
July 26, 2010 10:36AM
eye popping smiley YES, unfortunately although the TechZone electronics are Gen 3 they are not the 'standard' RepRap design.

Hopefully someone can direct you to a blog or web page with detailed instructions for the TechZone electronics.
The only wiki page I know of is the Generation 3 Electronics/Tech Zone Remix/How to page.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
Chris A
July 26, 2010 11:12AM
Thanks for that! Almost everything is there except for the extruder hookup to the controller. I don't know why I couldn't find that. I guess a second pair of eyes on the wiki helps smiling smiley.
As for the extruder, I hooked the 2 wires coming off of it (thermistor?) into 2 screw type connectors. Off of that perfboard is 4 wires attached to a straight 4-pin connector and seperate green wire with a single pin copper connector on it. I assume the 4-wire connector goes into the only straight 4-pin spot on the extruder controller board (no idea which way though once again), and I have no idea where the single green wire goes.
I'm not an electronics guru by any means (wish I was) so I hope you understand the parts I'm describing. I'm kind of learning on the fly grinning smiley. Thanks-a-million once again for that link for techzone's electronics hookup! smileys with beer smileys with beer smileys with beer
July 26, 2010 12:21PM
The Mendel Electronic Wiring wiki page block wiring diagram should also be valid for the TechZone Electronics.
They have a smaller form factor and use different connectors but the wiring SHOULD be the same.
Unfortunately the TechZone site is useless for information and the BotMill site isn't much better...

I wish you good luck and hope that some other users of the TechZone electronics can help your further!

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
Chris A
July 26, 2010 12:28PM
I found something...
[reprap.org]
That one link you gave me helped me find the rest of the wiki lol!
I think I should be able to finish my mendel with your help and the rest of the wiki. I've been trying for a month to figure these electronics out along with going back and forth with botmill about their parts (they get them from techzonecom apparently). Bleh, don't even get me started on those people. Anyway Bob, you sir, are the man! thumbs up smileys with beer thumbs up
July 26, 2010 12:36PM
Hopefully someone can direct you to a blog or web page with detailed instructions for the TechZone electronics.
The only wiki page I know of is the Generation 3 Electronics/Tech Zone Remix/How to page.

Which should probably be merged with:
http://reprap.org/wiki/Generation_3_Electronics/Tech_Zone_Remix/Installation

I just moved http://reprap.org/wiki/Official_Electronics_Installation_page to http://reprap.org/wiki/Generation_3_Electronics/Tech_Zone_Remix/Installation

Unfortunately the TechZone site is useless for information and the BotMill site isn't much better...
Those are sales-oriented sites. If Kimberly and Lambert were squirreling away their documentation in them rather than the wiki, I'd get mildly annoyed and would make zero effort to point people at their stuff. smiling bouncing smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2010 12:41PM by SebastienBailard.

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
July 27, 2010 02:53AM
And infact those two pages tell you everything you need to get the electronics 95% working, as long as you follow the testing advice on the main mendel pages as well. The additional 5% is problems that not specifically techzone issues, but rather constructions issues or other firmware issues etc.

(As you are correct those pages do need merging, as the Howto has some "tricks" that people have found, but the Installation page is better laid out, if I can get some time over the next week or so I will have a look at the pages for you)

David
July 06, 2011 07:17PM
I would recommend this page:
TechZone InfoHub
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login