Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Smoothieboard Z motors wrong direction in cura

Posted by Embed 
Smoothieboard Z motors wrong direction in cura
June 10, 2015 11:35PM
When I got my printer mostly built and all the steppers hooked up I used pronterface to test them. When I pushed the up button in pronterface for the z steppers, they went down, so I inverted the pins in the config by adding " ! " . That fixed the direction .I'm using a smoothieboard by the way. I got ready to test everything to see how I need to set up the machine and used the cura that came with the smoothieboard. When I'm trying to calibrate the z to hotend gap the motors turn reverse. I push the "up 0.2mm" and they go down. I push the "down 0.2mm" and they go up. Do I need to re invert those pins in config to use with cura? I don't know why it works backwards from pronterface.
Re: Smoothieboard Z motors wrong direction in cura
June 11, 2015 02:54AM
I´ve read that pronterface has it´s own settings to change stepper direction. When these are set AND you use the "!" in config, it turns out right ONLY in pronterface.

I guess, when you reverse the setting in pronterface and undo the "!" in config, the directions in pronterface and Cura are the same.
-Olaf
June 11, 2015 04:05AM
Ok that makes sense. I'm finding out now the dumbest part of this whole build is the software. I got the motors to turn correct, now I can't get the extruder to turn while trying a test print in cura. I downloaded slicer or whatever it's called and I dont see a print button nowhere. I guess it only .... I have no idea. I was able to resize a test cube in slicer.... Is cura the only software that actually prints something?
June 11, 2015 04:18AM
The extruder won´t turn until your hotend temperature passed a certain threshold ( 180°C?). But you can test the extruder stepper, when you plug it in a different port and don´t use filament.

I can´t say anything about slic3r, but Cura works fine for me.
June 11, 2015 05:03AM
The extruder works fine in pronterface, so I know it's not the stepper. The temp is reading 235c in cura.
June 11, 2015 12:59PM
I think because my z steppers, I have 2 , is on the bottom side of my printer and my bed raises up is the problem. That's backwards from most of the printers out. But there is no machine in setup like mine in Cura.
June 11, 2015 01:54PM
If they simply run the wrong way but otherwise xyz-orientation and homing is OK, then turn around the connectors of the z-steppers.

Prusa i3 has the same way of z-movement
-Olaf
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login