Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Y corner Prusa I3 not stable

Posted by Govahnator 
Y corner Prusa I3 not stable
June 18, 2015 11:26AM
Hi guys,

I have a problem with my prusa i3 (from the beginning)

My Right front Y corner doesnt touch the ground, all other corners do.

What is the easiest way to fix this? i know it should be eazy but i am not sure how to start.

Thx
Re: Y corner Prusa I3 not stable
June 18, 2015 11:27AM
I'm not sure what you mean. Can you post a picture?
June 18, 2015 11:38AM
thx for your reply,

Actually i cant make a picture at the moment :s.

The issue is that my front right y corner ( printed piece), doesn't touch my desk , it hovers a bit while the other y corners do touch my desk.

My whole printer is not very stable because of this, its a mechanical problem but i am not sure where to start to fix it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2015 11:38AM by Govahnator.
June 18, 2015 11:40AM
Put something under it the short leg for starters. A stack of paper (magazine?).
June 18, 2015 11:43AM
Well i want to fix the mechanical problem, because of this my printbed is also not stable and leveled like it should.
June 18, 2015 12:46PM
Assuming you have a version with M8 rods on all four sides, just twist it, until all corners fit.
If you have those "modern" ones where front and end are a piece of plastic, print out the M8 corners and dump the plastic-crap. #see attachment

Or you could print clamps to tie down the y-frame to a wooden board. ( a good idea anyways )
-Olaf
Attachments:
open | download - y-axis-corner.stl (156.7 KB)
June 18, 2015 05:01PM
I would suggest getting a piece of 18x24 inch MDF as a base. You can drill holes in the MDF along the frame and under the Y axis threaded rods then use zip ties to secure it to the base. You could use better clamping materials, but this would be a good start.

Hardening your Prusa i3 3D printer
June 18, 2015 07:36PM
Thanks for the reply guys,

O_lampe, i have the printed y corners, can you further explain what you mean with twisting?

Thetazzbat, thats a good idea , but i want to fix the root of the problem
June 18, 2015 09:33PM
I had this happen when assembling mine.

the corner in question has been tightened down incorrectly, if yours is the same I would suggest the below.

take off your bed and loosen your Y Belt
loosen the nuts on the Y corner that is up in the air until it touches the ground.

Then check that the other three corners are square.
They should be 90 degrees from the table top on all 4 sides of your printed part and the Y frame threaded rods should be 90 degrees between the short and long rod at the bottom and 90 degrees between the smooth rod and short threaded rod at the top.

if all three of the unaffected corners are square then you need to work on your short threaded rod inside nuts for the 4th corner (the one you loosened at the start) hold the printed part down and turn the inside nuts until they touch the part, do the same for your Long threaded rod side (hold part and move inside nut against the part)

now bring your outside nuts into line and then begin to tighten all ensuring that the inside nuts stay put, you should now have no twist in your frame and all 4 corners should touch the ground.

you can re-attach the bed and tighten the belt (there is a small chance your bearings wont align on your bed as you attached the bed when the y corner was in a different position.

test again that everything is square and all corners are on the ground

Hope this helps
June 19, 2015 08:36AM
Thanks for your extensive reply Zerker, it was the reply i was hoping for.

I will try it, and keep you guys updated

Thx
June 19, 2015 12:12PM
Hi guys,

Pff im fed up, i worked 2 hours on this problem, i fixed it, put the top frame on, and guess what i got the problem in another corner now.
Im really pissed :s

Update, now i got all corners on the desk, but no the left side of the topframe hangs to high :s pff, i think i better completely rebuild this piece of crap.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2015 12:37PM by Govahnator.
June 19, 2015 12:34PM
It sounds like the grooves in the frame are a bit off or not fully seated. Maybe run a rat tailed file through the slot where the rods fit and see if that helps?
June 20, 2015 01:03AM
I went through the same thing. As you tighten the nuts the leg lifts up. I had to lossen the nuts and twist the frame down on that corner and then tighten the nut. It took a couple tries to get it down. I think fastening the legs to the desk top (is) the way to go.
June 20, 2015 07:23PM
Uhm,

During assembly of the Y bed rods, did you carefully measure from inside to inside of each leg along the threaded rod? Even the slightest error there will cause you no end of headaches.

Also, the nuts that clamp down on the frame, they have to be measured exactly from one end of the long threaded rod. And you should be very careful when tightening the nuts that you hold one very steady, and tighten the other. Dont turn both.
June 25, 2015 11:13AM
Thx for the help fellows,

I found that that the issue i was having came when tightening the top frame on the y frame.

i dissambled the 2 frames again, forced the hovering y end down while tightening and the issue is fixed.

Thx and good luck to you all.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login