Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Recommend a new hot end for my H-1.0?

Posted by BrainSlugs83 
Recommend a new hot end for my H-1.0?
July 06, 2015 02:39AM
Well, dang it all. After every other stupid challenge, I decided to try my hand at working with PLA.

I got a real bad jam, and got it all cleaned out -- but now my hot end leaks -- even switching back to ABS, there will be random chunks not printed, and looking under the hot end, a big bulge of plastic is there (on the side of the nozzle -- I can remove it with pliers, it comes away mostly solid...)

So I decided to start taking it apart -- and I realized it's mostly cemented together -- and now glued together with a thin layer of plastic too (both ABS and PLA) -- not sure the best way to clean it ... but it's moot anyway, since I accidentally broke off the thermistor in the socket it's cemented into -- still going to try my hand at fixing it, but I doubt I can... drinking smiley

tl;dr:
I'm thinking there's a 99.999% chance that this thing is toast, and am wondering:
  1. what hot end I should get? -- A good high quality hot end would be awesome -- was eventually going to upgrade it anyway, just now I'm kind of forced to.
  2. can you recommend a thermistor that's compatible with Marlin and Repetier? (right now, I can only get the thermistor working in Marlin anyway, it takes a custom table to do it -- I tried the same in Repetier, but the resistances go in the wrong direction, and Repetier's firmware (and web interface!) just can't make any sense of that... so a more compatible thermistor recommendation would be great too.)

Also, it kind of goes without saying, but : I don't have a working printer right now -- so the hot end needs to be able to fit my existing H-1.0's threaded PTFE rod... -- or it needs to come with it's own PTFE/PEEK components and a way to mount it to my existing carriage... -- even if I have to cut some wood or something, that might work...

Some links with more info to help:
My Machine: The SeeMeCNC H-1.0 (this is a cartesian robot).
The H-1.0's Extruder Barrel Assembly.

If you look in the second link, the two holes that the bolts go through -- (#6) are about 27 mm apart.

The actual shaft (#5) is about 9.5 mm in diameter, and the threaded part is about 9mm.

The H-1.0 was their original IndieGoGo printer (it's like kickstarter -- this was back in like 2011 or 2012, I was a backer and got a kit, and they sold parts for it for a while, but now they just stopped selling parts and upgrades for it, and most of the original links they had up for information and such are long gone. Now all they do is delta printers, I think).

EDIT:
I found some images of the damn thing: SeeMeCNC H-1's Extruder & Hot End.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2015 06:13AM by BrainSlugs83.
Re: Recommend a new hot end for my H-1.0?
July 06, 2015 01:22PM
I really recommend the j-head hot ends and not just any random cheap one. Go to hotends.com and order one straight from Reifsnyder. They are pricier than others, but these are the original and this guy makes excellent stuff. He sales the mounting plate too, that has slotted screw holes in it; however, I think the minimum spacing on those might be 40+ mm at the minimum. You could buy the plate though and see if you could modify it to make it fit your machine.
July 06, 2015 11:35PM
Hmmm... interesting. How do these compare to hot ends like the E3D-v6? -- It looks like they have the same or similar mounting hardware, e.g.: [www.hotends.com]

Is this common with the hot ends right now? Do you know if there are dimensions available for these brackets?
July 07, 2015 12:58AM
These are all I have ever used. If you contact him you can probably get dims. You might even be able to catch him on the reprap irc channel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2015 12:58AM by appdev007.
July 07, 2015 02:54PM
I did some searching and figured out, yes, they're all about the same dimensions, and did a google image search for "J-head mounting plates", and was able to find dimensions -- and also this cool thing: [www.thingiverse.com]

I keep hearing that I should check out the #reprap channel on IRC -- is it okay to reach out to folks there for stuff like this? -- I thought it was more of a place for the actual reprap developers to do their "serious business" or whatever...
July 07, 2015 07:33PM
oh no the IRC channel is for everyone. There are all kinds of helpful people on there. and all kinds of people asking questions. I have even spoke to some notable people in the community on there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2015 07:33PM by appdev007.
July 08, 2015 02:50PM
Nice. I will have to check it out.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login