Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

First time builder. LCD not working. Please Help

Posted by boymeetsmill 
First time builder. LCD not working. Please Help
August 20, 2015 08:36PM
I recently purchased a RAMPS 1.4 kit from eBay. It came with a knock-off Arduino MEGA, RAMPS shield, stepper drivers, USB cord, LCD screen and misc electronics.

- I assembled the electronics (it was already soldered together).
- Downloaded the latest Marlin FW and u8glib libaries
- Copied the u8glib libraries into the arduino directory
- Opened Arduino edited the Marlin FW code for the LCD and SD support. This youtube video laid out most of the process (YouTube Video)

So my current issue is, the code compiles and is able to upload to the board. The LCD illuminates, but there are no graphics on the LCD. This happens whether I use the USB cord or the external power supply. Im stumped as to what the issue could be. Please Help! Thanks
Re: First time builder. LCD not working. Please Help
August 20, 2015 08:43PM
Make certain that you uncommented the *correct* lines in Marlin, and also check the contrast adjustment on your LCD.

- Tim
August 20, 2015 09:03PM
I double checked code changes in the "Configuration.h" files, and everything seems correct.

To be more correct in regards to the LCD illuminating its the backlight that turns on, and no text or graphics are visible.

As far as the contrast. I only have access to the POT on the front of the screen. I have adjusted this to both extremes several times to make sure I am in a view-able range. The contrast adjustment on the back of the board I cannot get to as the LCD and board are soldered together.

And for a little more detail. I've been switching between external power (power in via the shield) and the USB port on the MEGA. I have 4 of the steppers drivers installed, one stepper connected, the expansion board for the LCD and nothing else. Do I need any other components to boot the board?
August 21, 2015 01:22AM
This probably wont help much but I had almost this exact problem....
I reset the firmware, checked my wiring... shook, beat and swore at the thing and after days of this, it just fired up and has been sweet ever since...???

DO re-check your ribbon cables to the display board though...

I hope you get it sorted....
August 21, 2015 12:43PM
The cables I have came prebuilt. If I reverse EXP1 and EXP2 the LCD backlight won't come on.

I was curious if the cables could have been built incorrectly. I've seen may images of LCDs that have the stripes to the ribbon facing out. Mine both point to 2 stepper driver side of the shield. Also my ribbon cables and connectors are keyed to only go in one way. Is there an easy way to check that won't blow up either boards?
August 21, 2015 02:42PM
Minor success!

I went through the code once again. This time I added the line "#include "U8glib.h"" to the first sketch page of the Marlin firmware as opposed to the Configration.h page.

The LCD screen now displays text! I get an error because I don't have a thermistor hooked to the board.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2015 02:42PM by boymeetsmill.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login