Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder Bootloader / USB-serial module / host software & Linux Driver issues! YAY!

Posted by KmE 
KmE
Extruder Bootloader / USB-serial module / host software & Linux Driver issues! YAY!
September 08, 2010 03:45PM
Hello fellow Reprappers!(?)
I'm just starting out on my reprap build and have a few initial hurdles! eye rolling smiley Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
I'll separate them to be more clear:

[1] Is this usb to serial module suitable?
    [2] Does anybody know how to install the drivers for the usb/serial module in ubuntu 10.04.1?
    [3] I'm getting an error code when trying to upload the bootloader to the extruder board- what does it mean?

1. I bought this module from ebay:
[cgi.ebay.co.uk]
Is this a suitable replacement for the module in the wiki, or am I going to need that specific module/cable?

2.I'm trying to use Ubuntu instead of windows as it handles its resources more efficiently- unfortunately I'm completely clueless when it comes to installing hardware under Linux and so need some help getting it to work! Do I need to compile a driver? How would I go about doing that? erm... Help?! confused smiley

3.I'm using this USBtinyISP bootloader from ebay:
[cgi.ebay.co.uk]
I was initially having problems as the Arduino software didn't support the ATMEGA168P which came with my board. I read this [www.arduino.cc] thread on the Arduino forum which fixed that initial problem by adding some amended code to the boards.txt file.
Now however I have a new problem- I'm getting the following error code and I have no idea what it means!?

avrdude: invalid byte value (null) specified for immediate mode
avrdude: write to file 'null' failed

If anybody can help or offer any advice it would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Re: Extruder Bootloader / USB-serial module / host software & Linux Driver issues! YAY!
September 15, 2010 03:13PM
1) That module should work fine. As long as it outputs 5v and has all the standard RS232 lines (and it appears to) then you should have no problem. Do compare the pinouts to what's on the wiki, in case they are numbered differently

2) Step 1: plug in USB module. Step 2: there is no step 2. You Windows people always over-complicate things smiling smiley

3) So you bought a pre-built extruder board? If so, it should already have a bootloader on it. You shouldn't need the USBtinyISP, that's only needed for programming the bootloader. Once the bootloader is on it, you can load the extruder firmware with "Upload to I/O board" over the USB-TTL cable.
KmE
Re: Extruder Bootloader / USB-serial module / host software & Linux Driver issues! YAY!
September 15, 2010 05:16PM
Hi!

Thanks for the info, I wasn't sure about the driver issue as I saw a Linux driver on the IC website and the fact that I couldn't seem to get the host software to talk to the motherboard makes me believe that there is some sort of issue 'somewhere'! sad smiley

I actually got the extruder board as components and soldered it up myself- as far as I know it is meant to come with an ATMEGA168 and not the 168P so I'm having some difficulty getting the bootloader onto it!
I assume that as the IC came packaged then it was blank?

Thanks again. smiling smiley
September 15, 2010 05:47PM
Yes, since you ordered the CPU as a component it will have been blank.

I find the arduino IDE essentially undebugable, so let me give you some instructions for directly running avrdude. Are you using arduino from apt-get or did you download it directly? If apt, go to /usr/share/arduino, otherwise go to the extracted arduino directory. You should see the file hardware/arduino/bootloaders/atmega/ATmegaBOOT_168_diecimila.hex; this is the binary file for the bootloader. Run avrdude:

avrdude -U flash:w:hardware/arduino/bootloaders/atmega/ATmegaBOOT_168_diecimila.hex -p m168p -c usbtiny -U lfuse:w:0xff -U hfuse:w:0xdd -U efuse:w:0x00

Hopefully that will just run and be happy. You may get a permission error, if so just run again with sudo.

Assuming you can get the bootloader on there, it should be a (comparative) breeze to get the extruder firmware uploaded smiling smiley
KmE
September 15, 2010 08:54PM
Thanks for the info smiling smiley for some reason avrdude wasn't installed?! So installed that then had to amend the conf to include the ATMEGA168P (again?) but after that it seemed to work?-
=============================================================================================
Terminal:

reprap@reprap-laptop:~/Downloads/arduino/arduino-0019$ sudo avrdude -U flash:w:hardware/arduino/bootloaders/atmega/ATmegaBOOT_168_diecimila.hex -p m168p -c usbtiny -U lfuse:w:0xff -U hfuse:w:0xdd -U efuse:w:0x00

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.01s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e940b
avrdude: NOTE: FLASH memory has been specified, an erase cycle will be performed
To disable this feature, specify the -D option.
avrdude: erasing chip
avrdude: reading input file "hardware/arduino/bootloaders/atmega/ATmegaBOOT_168_diecimila.hex"
avrdude: input file hardware/arduino/bootloaders/atmega/ATmegaBOOT_168_diecimila.hex auto detected as Intel Hex
avrdude: writing flash (16294 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 9.55s

avrdude: 16294 bytes of flash written
avrdude: verifying flash memory against hardware/arduino/bootloaders/atmega/ATmegaBOOT_168_diecimila.hex:
avrdude: load data flash data from input file hardware/arduino/bootloaders/atmega/ATmegaBOOT_168_diecimila.hex:
avrdude: input file hardware/arduino/bootloaders/atmega/ATmegaBOOT_168_diecimila.hex auto detected as Intel Hex
avrdude: input file hardware/arduino/bootloaders/atmega/ATmegaBOOT_168_diecimila.hex contains 16294 bytes
avrdude: reading on-chip flash data:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 8.53s

avrdude: verifying ...
avrdude: 16294 bytes of flash verified
avrdude: reading input file "0xff"
avrdude: error opening 0xff: No such file or directory
avrdude: input file 0xff auto detected as invalid format
avrdude: can't open input file 0xff: No such file or directory
avrdude: write to file '0xff' failed

avrdude: safemode: Fuses OK

avrdude done. Thank you.

reprap@reprap-laptop:~/Downloads/arduino/arduino-0019$

============================================================================================

So I think it uploaded the bootloader but I'm not sure if it burned correctly?

Also, now when I try to upload the firmware I get this error from the Arduino software, basically it's saying that atmega168P isn't supported but atmega168p is, so I'm not sure what to edit to get it to work, I've tried editing the avrdude.conf again but that doesn't seem to help.
Also not sure if the other 'stuff' means anything either!

Arrghh, 3 steps forward, two steps back! eye rolling smiley

Again any help would be appreciated as you've definitely moved things forward so far! smiling smiley
=============================================================================================

unknown MCU 'atmega168P' specified
Known MCU names:
avr2
at90s2313
at90s2323
at90s2333
at90s2343
attiny22
attiny26
at90s4414
at90s4433
at90s4434
at90s8515
at90c8534
at90s8535
avr25
attiny13
attiny13a
attiny2313
attiny24
attiny44
attiny84
attiny25
attiny45
attiny85
attiny261
attiny461
attiny861
attiny43u
attiny87
attiny48
attiny88
at86rf401
avr3
at43usb320
at43usb355
at76c711
avr31
atmega103
avr35
at90usb82
at90usb162
attiny167
attiny327
avr4
atmega8
atmega48
atmega48p
atmega88
atmega88p
atmega8515
atmega8535
atmega8hva
at90pwm1
at90pwm2
at90pwm2b
at90pwm3
at90pwm3b
at90pwm81
avr5
atmega16
atmega161
atmega162
atmega163
atmega164p
atmega165
atmega165p
atmega168
atmega168p
atmega169
atmega169p
atmega32
atmega323
atmega324p
atmega325
atmega325p
atmega3250
atmega3250p
atmega328p
atmega329
atmega329p
atmega3290
atmega3290p
atmega32hvb
atmega406
atmega64
atmega640
atmega644
atmega644p
atmega645
atmega6450
atmega649
atmega6490
atmega16hva
at90can32
at90can64
at90pwm216
at90pwm316
atmega32c1
atmega64c1
atmega16m1
atmega32m1
atmega64m1
atmega16u4
atmega32u4
atmega32u6
at90scr100
at90usb646
at90usb647
at94k
avr51
atmega128
atmega1280
atmega1281
atmega1284p
atmega128rfa1
at90can128
at90usb1286
at90usb1287
m3000f
m3000s
m3001b
avr6
atmega2560
atmega2561
avrxmega3
atxmega32a4
avrxmega4
atxmega64a3
avrxmega5
atxmega64a1
avrxmega6
atxmega128a3
atxmega256a3
atxmega256a3b
avrxmega7
atxmega128a1
avr1
at90s1200
attiny11
attiny12
attiny15
attiny28
/home/reprap/Downloads/arduino/arduino-0019/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring.c:1: error: MCU ‘atmega168P’ supported for assembler only
/home/reprap/Downloads/arduino/arduino-0019/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring.c: In function ‘micros’:
/home/reprap/Downloads/arduino/arduino-0019/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring.c:83: error: ‘TCNT0’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/home/reprap/Downloads/arduino/arduino-0019/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring.c:83: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
/home/reprap/Downloads/arduino/arduino-0019/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring.c:83: error: for each function it appears in.)
/home/reprap/Downloads/arduino/arduino-0019/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring.c:89: error: ‘TIFR’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/home/reprap/Downloads/arduino/arduino-0019/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring.c:89: error: ‘TOV0’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/home/reprap/Downloads/arduino/arduino-0019/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring.c: In function ‘init’:
/home/reprap/Downloads/arduino/arduino-0019/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring.c:170: error: ‘TCCR0A’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/home/reprap/Downloads/arduino/arduino-0019/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring.c:170: error: ‘WGM01’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/home/reprap/Downloads/arduino/arduino-0019/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring.c:171: error: ‘WGM00’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/home/reprap/Downloads/arduino/arduino-0019/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring.c:178: error: ‘TCCR0B’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/home/reprap/Downloads/arduino/arduino-0019/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring.c:178: error: ‘CS01’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/home/reprap/Downloads/arduino/arduino-0019/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring.c:179: error: ‘CS00’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/home/reprap/Downloads/arduino/arduino-0019/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring.c:185: error: ‘TIMSK0’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/home/reprap/Downloads/arduino/arduino-0019/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring.c:185: error: ‘TOIE0’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/home/reprap/Downloads/arduino/arduino-0019/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring.c:194: error: ‘TCCR1B’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/home/reprap/Downloads/arduino/arduino-0019/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring.c:194: error: ‘CS11’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/home/reprap/Downloads/arduino/arduino-0019/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring.c:195: error: ‘CS10’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/home/reprap/Downloads/arduino/arduino-0019/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring.c:197: error: ‘TCCR1A’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/home/reprap/Downloads/arduino/arduino-0019/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring.c:197: error: ‘WGM10’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/home/reprap/Downloads/arduino/arduino-0019/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring.c:203: error: ‘TCCR2B’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/home/reprap/Downloads/arduino/arduino-0019/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring.c:203: error: ‘CS22’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/home/reprap/Downloads/arduino/arduino-0019/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring.c:209: error: ‘TCCR2A’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/home/reprap/Downloads/arduino/arduino-0019/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring.c:209: error: ‘WGM20’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/home/reprap/Downloads/arduino/arduino-0019/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring.c:227: error: ‘ADCSRA’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/home/reprap/Downloads/arduino/arduino-0019/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring.c:227: error: ‘ADPS2’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/home/reprap/Downloads/arduino/arduino-0019/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring.c:228: error: ‘ADPS1’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/home/reprap/Downloads/arduino/arduino-0019/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring.c:229: error: ‘ADPS0’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/home/reprap/Downloads/arduino/arduino-0019/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring.c:232: error: ‘ADEN’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/home/reprap/Downloads/arduino/arduino-0019/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring.c:240: error: ‘UCSR0B’ undeclared (first use in this function)
September 15, 2010 11:03PM
It looks like it may not have burned your fuses correctly, which is extremely important as I found out the hard way. Not sure what to recommend there, you may have to google for that.

I suspect boards.txt is what needs to be modified to fix the capital 'P'

Hope that helps!
KmE
September 16, 2010 10:40AM
AHAHH!
After looking around a bit I stumbled across an 'AVR Fuse calculator' here- [frank.circleofcurrent.com] and noticed at the bottom there was an extra ':m' (switch?) after each of the fuse codes- i.e.
sudo avrdude -U flash:w:hardware/arduino/bootloaders/atmega/ATmegaBOOT_168_diecimila.hex -p m168p -c usbtiny -U lfuse:w:0xff:m -U hfuse:w:0xdd:m -U efuse:w:0x00:m

so I gave it a go (not knowing what it means- I know it's not sensible but I've been trying for ages and I was getting desperate! confused smiley)
But YAY! it seemed to work!:smiling bouncing smiley

Terminal:
avrdude: 16294 bytes of flash verified
avrdude: reading input file "0xff"
avrdude: writing lfuse (1 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s

avrdude: 1 bytes of lfuse written
avrdude: verifying lfuse memory against 0xff:
avrdude: load data lfuse data from input file 0xff:
avrdude: input file 0xff contains 1 bytes
avrdude: reading on-chip lfuse data:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s

avrdude: 1 bytes of lfuse verified
avrdude: reading input file "0xdd"
avrdude: writing hfuse (1 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 0.02s

avrdude: 1 bytes of hfuse written
avrdude: verifying hfuse memory against 0xdd:
avrdude: load data hfuse data from input file 0xdd:
avrdude: input file 0xdd contains 1 bytes
avrdude: reading on-chip hfuse data:

avrdude: 1 bytes of hfuse verified
avrdude: reading input file "0x00"
avrdude: writing efuse (1 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 0.02s

avrdude: 1 bytes of efuse written
avrdude: verifying efuse memory against 0x00:
avrdude: load data efuse data from input file 0x00:
avrdude: input file 0x00 contains 1 bytes
avrdude: reading on-chip efuse data:

avrdude: 1 bytes of efuse verified

avrdude: safemode: Fuses OK

avrdude done. Thank you.

So it's worked- I think?! thumbs downthumbs up

Now all I need to work out is the p/P issue I'm getting- I changed it in the boards.txt file but it made no difference?

Hmmm, onwards and upwards.......

Thanks again for the insights- you've been an immense help!
I'd shelved the gen3 as being too much hassle (I'm sure it's not meant to be THIS difficult!) and decided on getting the pre-installed gen6 electronics! Now it looks like I could have the makings of 2 repraps.... eventually!
September 16, 2010 10:49AM
Excellent, you've definitely got the bootloader on there now. Sorry about the :m, I should have had that correct.

Strange that changing boards.txt made no difference. I'm not an arduino expert so I'm not sure where else you might have to touch. If you remember the files you had to modify to get the 168P working initially, it is surely one of those files.

Good luck with the Gen6 electronics!
KmE
September 16, 2010 11:05AM
Cheers, I'm hoping to have less issues with the gen6- only time will tell.

I edited the boards.txt again and it seemed to work (a bit)- I apparently has accidentally erased the last line of code! So that seems to be working now. (whoops!)

Now I'm getting a different set of issues!
When I choose the (edited) Diecimila 'p' board to upload to (in arduino software) I get the following error:

Extruder.cpp:19:2: error: #error Oops! Make sure you have 'Arduino Diecimila' selected from the boards menu.

And if I change the board to the original non-'p' version I get:

Binary sketch size: 6962 bytes (of a 14336 byte maximum)
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x11
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x11

FUN FUN FUN!!!
Summits not right!

Looks like I've got a few more aeons of digging poking and blindly editing files ahead of me!

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! tongue sticking out smiley
September 16, 2010 12:28PM
If you look at the lines around Extruder.cpp:19, you'll see something like "#ifndef ATMEGA168." You should be able to add the 'P' there to get around the check (or just comment out the #error, you know what you're doing now :-))
KmE
September 16, 2010 01:33PM
Know what I'm doing?! ooh I'd say that's a slight exaggeration, but thanks for the support! smileys with beer

Well I added a p to the code- no effect. sad smiley and commented out the error, now whichever board I choose I get the same error:

Binary sketch size: 6962 bytes (of a 14336 byte maximum)
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x11
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x11

So not sure where to go now!

I'll post on the arduino forum to see if anyone can translate these mysterious glyphs and post any answers I get here. winking smiley
September 16, 2010 01:45PM
One other crazy thing I had to do was to change boards.txt so that the "upload.protocol" was "arduino" instead of "stk500." I'm not sure if that was the exact error I was seeing or not, but it's worth a shot.
KmE
September 16, 2010 03:52PM
Gave it a go but it made no difference sad smiley thanks anyhoo, like you said it was worth trying.

I'm hoping somebody on the arduino forum will be as helpful as you've been so far!
Thanks again! smiling smiley
VDX
September 16, 2010 05:25PM
... the "not in sync" is mostly wrong com-port defined or no reset after start downloading - you have to press the reset-button when the "Binary sketch size: ..." appears in the window.

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
September 16, 2010 05:40PM
Well... interesting discussion.
Do you think it's possible to upload sketches to ATmega using anything different than stk500 protocol ?

I am actually having the same problem.. I have mainboard and extruder controller, that I can program using external programmer (I used AVR ISP500, and Arduino as ISP). But then, when I try to upload firmware via Arduino, I get :

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

I tried all those reset tricks, know how to do it properly (done it before on functioning board), so it should be working by now...

Funny enough... I uploaded the firmware to both boards using the programmer (wiping out the bootloader), and everything works nicely, so I can drive all axis and extruder !

But the question remains.. if my serial communication works... why doesn't it let me do normal Arduino upload ? Any suggestions welcome!

cheers!

Przemek
KmE
September 16, 2010 05:45PM
Hi Viktor,

I had read that resetting the board may be necessary to upload correctly so tried resetting the board at several different points during the upload but to no effect?

As far as I can tell the com port is selected correctly: /dev/ttyUSB0 as I used that port to upload the bootloader earlier today with a lot of help from srwalter thumbs up but I'm open to suggestions.

Is it possible that the usb-serial module I'm using isn't 100% compatible? Is there a way of testing this?
I've also noticed that I can't get the motherboard to talk to the host program when trying to test it, I was hoping it was simply a java/software issue and not that I've bought the wrong interface (serves me right for trying to save a bit of money!)

Also, I've realised that the direction of this thread has changed quite a bit, is it possible to re-name it to something more appropriate, to hopefully get more fresh input?

Thanks smiling smiley
VDX
September 16, 2010 06:09PM
... i'm programming my Arduino Mega, Arduino Nano Pro, Boarduino and "reprap-motherboard 1.2 (Sanguino) with a 4pin-FTDI-USBtoRS232-interface, but for writing the firmware into the "extruder 2.2" i needed a 6pin-interface ... here the 4pin won't work too sad smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
KmE
September 16, 2010 06:17PM
The module I'm using [cgi.ebay.co.uk]... is (at least) a 6-pin, it has 24 pins of which I'm using, GND, VCC(5V), TX, RX, CDS, RTS, I'm assuming that's all correct?
KmE
September 16, 2010 06:40PM
Hi Przemek,

Do you mind if I ask how you directly uploaded the firmware to the board?
At this point I don't mind that I don't understand why the arduino won't upload it- I just want to get it working so I can move on with my build!
September 16, 2010 07:12PM
Hi Kevin,

Well, I used AVR ISP500 programmer (and previously Arduino as ISP, as described here : [www.geocities.jp])

basically, I used avrdude using this command:

avrdude -c stk500v2 -P COM4 -p m644p -U flash:w:firmwareFile.hex:i
(you will find firmware .hex file in c:/documents and settings/yourprofile/localsettings/temp/build... after compiling/verifying it in Arduino IDE)

Hope this helps!

PS. For extruder controller you should use -p m168p of course.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2010 07:15PM by jawor.
KmE
September 16, 2010 07:25PM
Thanks for that, I'll give it a try! smiling smiley
September 25, 2010 07:44AM
Hey, any luck with this ???

Actually I made it work today! Funny enough, it was probably some issue with my firewall or software.. not sure exactly, but it started working!
Basically I downloaded NEW version of Arduino environment (0019), installed sanguino Again.. when I run it first time, my Firewall soft (ESET) asked for permission to allow Arduino operate (that's why I think it was an issue, but not 100% sure). Then I modified programmers.txt in arduino/hardware/sanguino forlder, so it uses this programmer:

avrispmkii.name=AVRISP mkII sanguino
avrispmkii.communication=serial
avrispmkii.protocol=stk500v2

(note that it was usb instead of serial before, I had to change it). Then using Olimex AVR ISP500 I easily burned the bootloader! Hurray!!! :-)

After that burning firmware was a breeze, didn't even have to press reset on the board (because of the jumper), it uploads automatically.. wicked!

I hope yours will work too! Good luck!
KmE
September 27, 2010 12:13PM
Hey, sorry for the late reply!

I've not got it working yet, I've been on the arduino forum getting advice there, as yet though just going through it stage by stage- only just confirmed that the FTDI module I'm using is actually working!

I never got around to trying to burn the firmware directly as I realised I couldn't actually TEST it if the module wasn't working! Also, as I'm not really sure what all that code actually means and I'd definitely have to change the majority of it I thought I'd leave it until I had a better understanding of what is(n't) going on!

So anyway, still don't have a clue about anything but tried to directly burn the firmware but came unstuck as I can't find the hex file?! I'm using ubuntu not windows so I'm not sure where it is! sad smiley

So are you using the AVR programmer to upload the firmware or the serial module?
KmE
September 30, 2010 09:13AM
I've got the firmware on!

It appears it WAS a java issue?!
Last night I went over the reprap instructions again and for giggles tried removing open java and installing sun java instead and now the module works and uploads!
I have no idea why or what the difference is but IT'S WORKING! YAY ;D

So to sum up, in Ubuntu, OPEN JAVA= sad smiley SUN JAVA= grinning smiley

For anyone else who is following this thread, Instructions how to add sunjava:

Type in terminal

add-apt-repository “deb [archive.canonical.com] lucid partner”

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-bin sun-java6-jre

Then goto synaptics package manager, search for jre and remove any openjdk packages and install sun-java6 packages.
September 30, 2010 09:18AM
Excellent find! I've had to switch to Sun Java as well, but it was before this particular project so it didn't occur to me...
SOLVED! (partially)
Finally I can upload the firmware- however now I can't get the motherboard to communicate with the host software! eye rolling smiley

Time for a new thread methinks?!
Spoke too soon!

It WAS working (it uploaded the firmware) but then I reinstalled openjdk as I still couldn't get the software to communicate. I (foolishly) figured that I wouldn't need to upload it again and I may need some parts of open java to get the host communicating.

Needless to say it didn't work, plus now I'm back to square one where I can't upload a sketch. I tried the steps which successfully worked before, now they don't work!?

WTF? Grrr. >sad smiley
You might have sun java installed, but it may not be the default. Installing it won't do that, you need to run another command:

sudo update-alternatives --config java

You'll get a menu asking you to choose the right java executable for your needs.
Hi, thanks for the tip.

I tried it but I've since removed all but sun Java so it IS the default.
reprap@reprap-laptop:~$ sudo update-alternatives --config java 
There is only one alternative in link group java: /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java
Nothing to configure.
reprap@reprap-laptop:~$

Issue still remains sad smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login