Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hot bed not heating 0v to the bed

Posted by lorenjz 
Hot bed not heating 0v to the bed
January 01, 2016 10:02AM
Hello,

My wife gave me a Prusa i3 for christmas. I've assembled it and tried to print last night but I've found out that the hot bed isn't heating. When I looked into it further I noticed that there isn't any voltage going to the hotbed. What should the resistance of the thermistor be? Should I have to set anything in the firmware? I did check to see if the motherboard is defined as the ramps board and it is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Loren
Re: Hot bed not heating 0v to the bed
January 01, 2016 10:06AM
If your kit has RAMPS electronics, have you run power wires to both pairs of power input terminals on the RAMPS? One pair is used to power the bed heater, the other set powers everything else.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2016 10:06AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 01, 2016 10:13AM
Yes, I just metered at the terminal screws and both sets of wires are showing 11.8V. Also both connections look to be secure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2016 10:14AM by lorenjz.
January 01, 2016 10:14AM
lorenjz
Yes, I just metered at the terminal screws and both sets of wires are showing 11.8V. Also both connections look to be secure.

Depending on Firmware you may have to enable the heated bed as well
January 01, 2016 10:35AM
dougal1957

Depending on Firmware you may have to enable the heated bed as well

I'm using the Marlin Firmware and uploading it using the Arduino IDE. I didn't see anything that led me to believe the bed hadn't been enabled, but I'll double check to be sure.
January 01, 2016 11:20AM
I've been trying to dig a little deeper. I found this diagram of the ramps board. When I turn on the fan the appropriate indicator comes on. When I turn on the hotbed nothing happens with the LED. Any ideas? I'll keep digging too.
January 01, 2016 03:22PM
I think that I've narrowed the issue down a bit. I swapped thermistors and realized that the bed thermistor is reading 0. My bed came assembled with a wiring harness attached. Any thoughts on what I could do to check the thermistor?

Thanks,

Loren
January 04, 2016 04:19AM
Apparently the vendor shipped a wrong part with my kit. He will be shipping out new stuff today. Thanks for the help!

Loren
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login