Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Scrap source for parts - old laser cartridges, old printers, old roller blades

Posted by cluso99 
Scrap source for parts - old laser cartridges, old printers, old roller blades
September 26, 2010 05:54AM
I just pulled apart a used laser cartridge (from a Xerox Phaser 3124). I have a ready source of these.

I have found the following goodies...

1 x 4mm, 1 x 6mm & 1 x 7mm x approx 270mm long bars. Each have rollers on them and I will no doubt have to cut them off.

There were other parts like the fuser and also cogs etc that maybe usable.

By far the most vaulable is the 6mm x 275mm round bar.

Scrap the roundbar unless I can get the rubber roller off the bar in some easy way.
The rubber can be carefully cut off with a Stanley Knife. Don't cut into the bar. The excess can be fairly easily removed with steel wool (the coil type).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2010 01:30AM by cluso99.
Re: Scrap source for parts - bars, etc from old laser cartridges
September 26, 2010 10:09PM
Reprap III - Huxley BOM spreadsheet

[spreadsheets.google.com]

I believe it uses those 6 mm smooth rods...[spreadsheets.google.com]

--
My blog's Reprap feed: [blog.markbova.com]
I'm currently working on a stock Mendel build with a Seeeduino Mega and four Pololu A4983 stepper controllers.
October 01, 2010 11:34PM
I have just pulled apart a Brother DPC-115C USB Printer (I have 2).

There was a 6mmx~350mm stainless bar that could be useful and a few cogs, belts etc. Not all that much use. However, there was a pump (the rotating type that compresses a tube - forget the name of this) that is used for the ink which could be useful for some other type of reprap. There were 2 small DC motors and a tiny stepper. There were a few opto sensors and a microswitch.

All-in-all I was disappointed. The laser cartridge had far more useful parts.

The bar from the laser cartridge has a rubber roller fused to it and is difficult to get off - confused smiley Back to the bar from the printer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2010 08:21PM by cluso99.
October 02, 2010 08:29PM
Roller Blades

Elsewhere I stated I pulled apart two old roller blades that my kids outgrew. They were 10-15 years old.

One pair has a nice set of 8 wheels. Each wheel has 2 bearings and two nylon bushes 8mm OD and 6mm ID with a 6mm bolt. These bushes will be great for the carriage bushes for both the X & Y axis (4 required per axis, so I have 2 reprap sets). The Z axis does not require bushes. So I have 16 bearings and 16 bushes.

The other pair used different bearings with a flange on one side. There was a tiny nylon shim on one side. An 8mm bolt was used. This pair is nowhere near as useful as the other pair.

Of course, I don't know how the current roller blades are put together so I don't know what you will find.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login