Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Inductive NPN Sensor Vs PNP

Posted by Govahnator 
Inductive NPN Sensor Vs PNP
May 04, 2016 03:41PM
Hi Guys,

I've read a few topics about this but it's still not quite clear.
I have a PNP sensor (LJ12A3-4-Z/BY) on my Prusa i3 wired with 2 10k resistors, wich works fine.
Now i want to install an NPN (LJ12A3-4-Z/BX) sensor on my Mendelmax and from what i've read a NPN doesn't really need those resistors and in some cases not even the 12v.

How do i wire this NPN sensor to my ramps?
Re: Inductive NPN Sensor Vs PNP
May 04, 2016 04:36PM
if can get external power suply for your sensor like 12 volt only have plug in the signal wire to the ramps board to make it work

most sensor give real small low curent out put of power if sensor triggers
May 06, 2016 01:57PM
Though it may still work below it's rated voltage, I'd still give it what it needs.

I used a cigarette lighter USB charger, got it for cheap from one of the bins at my local Convenience/Pharmacy store. And I only had to solder a couple of wires.

I took 12v and ground directly from the power supply. Directly to my sensor.

I took the signal wire from the probe (which would output 12v if that's what you gave it) and connected to the tip contact on the charger, another ground wire from same place I got it for the sensor to the side contact. Then just put a wire from the USB 5v output to the signal pin on my RAMPS.
May 08, 2016 04:23PM
I guess what you are suggesting is instead of using resistors? i have the necessary resistors laying around..
May 11, 2016 01:42AM
just use a diode ! 1n4148 is ok. kathode to black wire, anode to Ramps Pin or what ever u use and enable software pullups.
May 17, 2016 10:22PM
I don't have a diode laying around, my question is can i use the 2 10k resistors to wire this sensor?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login