Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I mistake order 220V 200W silicone heatbed

Posted by wendychai80 
I mistake order 220V 200W silicone heatbed
July 10, 2016 09:26AM
i mistake order 220V 200W silicone heatbed for my new build and already received it, can i use it with ramps or i need order new 1. i only have 12v power supply
Re: I mistake order 220V 200W silicone heatbed
July 10, 2016 09:44AM
Could you return it? If you can return do return it.

If you are not able to return it then,
What voltage do you use in your area? 120v or 240?
Are you confident working with AC power?

If you have 240v power in your area then you could use an SSR to drive it at full power.
If you have 120v power in your area then your heater's performance WILL be significantly degraded even with the use of an ssr.
July 10, 2016 10:25AM
I got friend that work as electrician and my father can help me aswell, and i also like to learn something new smiling smiley

My country use 240 volts(malaysia), which SSR do u recommended and do you have any link on how to setup SSR with ramps
July 11, 2016 02:14PM
How to wire an SSR ( Video )

I am currently in the process of setting up a mains voltage heated bed also, and there are a few safety feautres that I have found from my research that you are going to want.
1. A GFCI portable plug $15 Link to one
2. A switch of some kind, a normal light switch will do just make sure it is rated for 15 Amps
3. A fuse for about 2-3 Amps more than your heated bed draw (this is marginally optional if you have a circuit breaker rated for 15 amps)
4. A high quality SSR + Heatsink
5. Check your wall socket wiring and make sure that it is not reverse bootlegged, this is very dangerous but rare case where the neutral and ground plugs are connected to the HOT wire and the hot plug is connected to the neutral wire. This link explains it very well.

Make sure that your SSR can handle the full load of your heated bed + a 20-30% safety factor, I purchased my SSR from Omega.
For my heat sink I used an old CPU heat sink.

Disclosure: I have not finished my heated bed setup yet because of a thermistor misreadings related to issues with my thermistor or my ramps; I am currently debugging the issue. If you have issues it is not my fault, please do your own research also.
July 11, 2016 07:10PM
Trexation
How to wire an SSR ( Video )

I am currently in the process of setting up a mains voltage heated bed also, and there are a few safety feautres that I have found from my research that you are going to want.
1. A GFCI portable plug $15 Link to one
2. A switch of some kind, a normal light switch will do just make sure it is rated for 15 Amps
3. A fuse for about 2-3 Amps more than your heated bed draw (this is marginally optional if you have a circuit breaker rated for 15 amps)
4. A high quality SSR + Heatsink
5. Check your wall socket wiring and make sure that it is not reverse bootlegged, this is very dangerous but rare case where the neutral and ground plugs are connected to the HOT wire and the hot plug is connected to the neutral wire. This link explains it very well.

Make sure that your SSR can handle the full load of your heated bed + a 20-30% safety factor, I purchased my SSR from Omega.
For my heat sink I used an old CPU heat sink.

Disclosure: I have not finished my heated bed setup yet because of a thermistor misreadings related to issues with my thermistor or my ramps; I am currently debugging the issue. If you have issues it is not my fault, please do your own research also.

I agree with all the above, except that for a heater that draws less than 1A as this one does, you won't need a heatsink if you use a standard 10A or 25A DC-AC SSR. I use a SSR-10DA to control my 230V 350W bed heater.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
July 11, 2016 07:14PM
Oh, I was thinking of my heater which is 6 Amps at 120v; It is less than an amp so a heat sink will not be necessary like dc42 said.
July 11, 2016 07:44PM
Trexation
Oh, I was thinking of my heater which is 6 Amps at 120v; It is less than an amp so a heat sink will not be necessary like dc42 said.

720W is a lot of power! How large is the bed?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

July 11, 2016 07:44PM
300mm square
July 11, 2016 07:55PM
Trexation
300mm square

Hmm, I reckon about 0.4W/cm^2 is about right for a bed heater, although some people go for 0.5W/cm^2. You have 0.8W.cm^2 which is a lot higher. Things to watch out for:

- It's going to heat up very quickly. If you use bang-bang control then it will probably overshoot as fair way unless the bed plate is very thick. You will probably need to use well-tuned PID to keep the temperature fluctuations small enough so as not to affect print quality.

- If for any reason the SSR stays on all the time, the bed temperature will go on rising and exceed the 200C rating of most silicone heaters - my guess is that it will top out somewhere around 280C. So I recommend you install a thermal cutout to guard against this situation.

July 11, 2016 08:22PM
My bed is about 12.75mm thick, but even still I would be interested in the thermal cutout guard you suggest. Do you have a link to one?
July 12, 2016 03:25AM
Trexation
My bed is about 12.75mm thick, but even still I would be interested in the thermal cutout guard you suggest. Do you have a link to one?

You can find some different styles by searching eBay for 'thermal fuse' and 'thermal cutout'.

July 12, 2016 07:46AM
Wow, sorry i didnt get notification that my thread got reply. Can i use this SSR "Solid State Relay SSR 40A with Protective Flag SSR-40DA 40A DC control AC"
July 12, 2016 07:48AM
Could I get a link to the page? you need to make sure that it can take a 12v input voltage and a 240v output voltage but otherwise it seems fine.
July 12, 2016 09:14AM
Aliexpress and i will bring the picture for finding something similar on my local shop here not online store

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2016 09:16AM by wendychai80.
July 12, 2016 09:15AM
Looks fine to me, good luck.
July 12, 2016 09:17AM
Thank you, i will try find SSR here tomorrow
July 12, 2016 10:37AM
Although you can probably use that SSR, I suggest one that is more appropriate to the less than 1A current that the heater will draw. Larger SSRs have greater leakage current and a higher minimum load current needed to work correctly. I suggest you look for SSR-10DA or possibly SSR-25DA. These are widely available on eBay.

July 13, 2016 01:08AM
dc42
Although you can probably use that SSR, I suggest one that is more appropriate to the less than 1A current that the heater will draw. Larger SSRs have greater leakage current and a higher minimum load current needed to work correctly. I suggest you look for SSR-10DA or possibly SSR-25DA. These are widely available on eBay.

Thanks, i will look for it, do i need heatsink also for the SSR?
July 13, 2016 03:26AM
wendychai80
dc42

Your 240V 200W heater will draw less than 1A. If you use a SSR-10DA or SSR-25DA then it will not need a heatsink.

July 13, 2016 04:38AM
dc42
wendychai80
dc42

Your 240V 200W heater will draw less than 1A. If you use a SSR-10DA or SSR-25DA then it will not need a heatsink.
Thank you sir, i will get SSR-25DA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login