Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

remote controller 3D printer

Posted by jokke0066 
remote controller 3D printer
July 14, 2016 01:16PM
I want to make my own simple remote controller (with a short cable to my controller).
I just want to move all the axis without every time going to my pc to click the move buttons.
I'm using Marlin firmware on a RAMPS 1.4.

Do's someone have an idea?

grtz
Re: remote controller 3D printer
July 14, 2016 01:42PM
you can use a lcd to control the printer.

groetjes
July 14, 2016 02:10PM
I know, but thats not simple enough. I just want 6 buttons when I push te printer move's. I don't want a menu or something like that.
July 14, 2016 09:10PM
Hi,

Your printer's firmware marlin waits for g-code [reprap.org] from the serial USB connection before performing the required move.

The remote controller with the 6 buttons will need a MCU, such as an Arduino
So it can send a g-code via the serial (TX RX) pins to printer's serial connection upon the ramps board to that MCU, which controls the stepper driver, which then moves the motor. You might need to hack in a connector so it feeds in the code after the USB connector to which you connect the the short cable to.

When you push button 1 for example it will send the string G28 (which will home all axis) [reprap.org]
Upon each button press
When you push button 2 for example it will send the string G1 X10 F2000 (which will move the X axis 10mm at a feed-rate of 2000mm/minute)
[reprap.org] Upon each button press

button 3...4... 5 and so on
Just decide what move/action you require each button to perform and send that string to the printer's MCU for it to act upon. Beware that if at any time your printer is powered down the motors will zero there position so always home the axis before a move. IMHO a good code to send is M18 which turns off the motors to allow free movement of axis when printer is powered and it require to move an axis to fix a problem.
that should get you started on this project.

regards
Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2016 09:17PM by orictosh.

Supporting 3D Printers with Parts and Build services.
Printer: Ormerod 2 (528.4) Duel extruder set-up with Aluminium X-Rib, RRPro Firmware v1.11-ch (2016-04-08)
July 14, 2016 10:36PM
Octopi, with 6 pushbuttons wired to the GPIO pins?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login