Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can't find the firmware for the Snappy!

Posted by jasonmburns 
Can't find the firmware for the Snappy!
August 07, 2016 10:28PM
Need some assistance. I can't seem to find the firmware (files for Arduino) for the Snappy RepRap printer. On the project page, I found a file for the Marlin, but I cannot find the Arduino file anywhere. I am halfway through the build, but now I fear I may not be able to get it going.

Thanks in advance,
Jason
Re: Can't find the firmware for the Snappy!
August 08, 2016 02:39AM
You seem a little confused...

You get the arduino IDE from [www.arduino.cc] (it may need older versions)

with this you load marlin.ini and compile it then upload it to your board.

You get marlin from [github.com]

What snappy have done is provided a diff file of the main configuration.h [github.com]

But they don't seem to have documented what version of marlin the diff was made from... so applying the diff would be tricky.

Luckily its very human readable
basically anything starting with a - means delete that line and anything starting with a + means add that line. It only deals with lines.
all other lines are location information
August 08, 2016 06:42AM
I am very confused. lol

I thought Marlin was a display that could be used with the Ramps board to control your printer. I did try to open the Marlin file from the Snappy page in the Arduino IDE software, but it would not recognize the file extension. I love how the Snappy has the detailed step by step instructions for assembly of the physical parts, but there seems to be nothing for the firmware portion of the project. It would be pretty sweet if there were a similar step by step guide for this. Where would a newbie go to learn how to do this? I would love to learn more about it. I have used Arduino before, but I am very new (one week old) to the 3D printer scene.

Just so I am understanding you correctly, I am to add the code from the Marlin file into the Arduino IDE? Am I adding it to an existing program? As I looked at the code earlier, there is no way this is the complete code to run the printer, so I guess I am wondering where the base RepRap program is that I am adding this code to before compiling... Am I understanding this correctly or am I lost? : ) I don't really know what a diff file is.
August 10, 2016 04:53AM
I think I understand it now. I found the wiki on Marlin. I will let you know my results. If I am successful, I will post what I did to make it work. I will also post what didn't work.

Thanks again!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2016 08:26PM by jasonmburns.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login