Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sc8UU or lm8UU. Bearing vs Bushing Chrome rods

Posted by Govahnator 
Sc8UU or lm8UU. Bearing vs Bushing Chrome rods
October 04, 2016 06:26PM
Hi guys,

I am about to buy some bearing's in an aluminium block, to make a new x carriage and possible new x ends for my mendelmax.

I have crossed alu blocks with the polymer bushings in aswell, wich should i choose, i would use them on chrome steel rods?

[www.benl.ebay.be]

or

[www.benl.ebay.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2016 06:37PM by Govahnator.
Re: Sc8UU or lm8UU. Bearing vs Bushing Chrome rods
October 08, 2016 12:03AM
Hmm those long ones look useful I think balls slide easier than bushings and probably take more load, and longer ones off more support & better alignment depends on the quality as I havent see those that cheap before, but they also look interesting for the price, I just bought 4x 12mm ones in blocks but hadnt seen the bushing ones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2016 02:16AM by MechaBits.
October 17, 2016 10:40PM
ordered the long ones with polymer bushings, since i changed to bowden the load doesn't mather much.

I suppose i could replace them with bearings if they don't work well.

I am happy that i can design a new x carriage without printed holders for the bearings and them being secured with zipties, they should be better aligned than at the moment, even if the bushings themselves are no improvement.

My bowden is working pretty good at the moment aswell, i should have changed much earlier.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2016 10:41PM by Govahnator.
October 18, 2016 02:21AM
Check out Toms Hardware YouTube video about choosing bearings.
He explains the pros and cons of both bearing and polymer bushings it might help make up your mind.
November 01, 2016 12:44PM
Keep in mind the issue of weight. The more weight you put on rapidly moving parts, i.e. the carriage, the more the vibration you get on the machine and the rougher the surfaces on your model. The rougher the surfaces on your model the lower the resolution.

The SC series seem to be heavy. There are a lot of light weight ways to mount LM series to your carriage. Many of these are found on Thingiverse. I have seen people use plastic bushings also and some people swear by them, but I have no experience with plastic bushings. These are even lighter than the metal bearings. There are some on Thingiverse that you can make yourself.

Hope this helps,

Stuart
December 14, 2016 09:25PM
The company you want is IGUS they even sell the filament to make the bushings with as well as CAD and STL files for any size
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login