Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Work in progress - new build taking shape

Posted by JamesK 
Work in progress - new build taking shape
January 16, 2017 08:46AM
I'm a little embarrassed to show it at this stage, but I finally got to the point where I can slide the XY axis around by hand, and suddenly it starts to feel like a printer smiling smiley It's going to be coreXY initially, but I have a plan B to fall back to a more conventional Cartesian layout, in which case I would likely go with dual X carriages on that long X rail. Biggest concern at the moment is whether the single cantilevered support is viable for the bed size. I suspect it is an over-reach (literally and figuratively) but I wanted to give it a go as it makes ideal use of the parts I was given. The entire Z axis module (which is just rested roughly in place at the moment) is mostly unchanged from it's original configuration. I just had to remount the rail onto the base.

The cantilever still has more work to do, it will be extended in X and Y with 1" aluminum angle, and a locking plate goes over the top to transfer the tension force. It's printed in three parts which will be glued and screwed together, and the Y parts are printed in PETG with an ABS insert (the final plan is nylon outer with carbon-fiber inserts, but I wanted a cheap version to check viability before committing premium filament). It's effectively a plastic 2x4, but it still seems like a big ask. Fall back if it doesn't work out will be to buy a couple more rails and use two supports, either cantilevered from the back (easy layout) or possibly from the sides under the CG as per DD's design.
Re: Work in progress - new build taking shape
January 16, 2017 12:52PM
Yea, I'd be concerned too about the Z. Chances are the preload on the linear truck isn't much. Bolt a long something on the cantilever to see what play you have and take it from there.

About dual carriages, instead of going cartesian (IDEX), you can jump from CoreXY to CoreXYU:
[forums.reprap.org]
Re: Work in progress - new build taking shape
January 16, 2017 01:12PM
Hi Tom, thanks for the link, I'll keep that in mind. Sure is a lot of belts to run for that config though!

Agreed on the trucks - they are top quality 24mm units and will laugh at anything I can throw at them. The plastic cantilever - not so much. I have a small bed to test with (roughly 400x200), we'll see how that goes before I put down the $$$ for the full size 650x300 tooling plate. Finishing the cantilever and adding the supports is getting near the top of the todo list now. That's if I can resist the temptation to start work on the motor mounts and pulley system - I so want to see it move under it's own power smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login