Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prusa Smooth Rod Discrepancy

Prusa Smooth Rod Discrepancy
March 13, 2017 03:10PM
The Prusa i3 Buyer's Guide lists the Y Axis Smooth Rod length as 350mm, but the Prusa Manual lists it as 330mm. I can confirm, having purchased a kit from Prusa, that the rods are indeed 330mm long. Is there a reason for this discrepancy, or should it just be updated?
Re: Prusa Smooth Rod Discrepancy
March 13, 2017 05:05PM
There are many I3's you are comparing a gen 1 (for lack of a better name) to a Mk2 which is about a gen3.

In this case look at the Y-axis-corners, the old Y-axis-corners are square and the bearing stops moving on the linear rails when they hit the edge of thecorner. The new Y-axis-corners the top is recessed and the bearing can keep moving into half the length of the Y-axis-corners. So the rod doesn't need to be as long for the same distance of travel.

IE both are correct.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2017 05:05PM by Dust.
March 13, 2017 05:15PM
I see. I understood the wiki to be covering the i3 Mk1, and I was using the i3 Mk1 to Mk2 upgrade guide to help understand the differences between the two models. The upgrade kit does not include new smooth rods, leading me to believe that the rod lengths were the same between the two versions. Is this understanding incorrect?
March 13, 2017 05:59PM
from the genuine prusa i3 mk1 to the genuine prusa i3 mk2 the rods are the same

But the page you linked to on the wiki is not the genuine prusa i3 mk1, it is a predecessor to the mk1.

FYI I suspect you will be interested in my current project [dustsreprap.blogspot.co.nz]
March 13, 2017 06:06PM
I am very interested in your current project, as it is also my current project [www.reddit.com]

I have all the parts, and have finished assembling the x, y, and z axis. I am waiting on an m3x40 screw from Amazon to finish the Extruder, and I should be able to finish the build by the end of the week...
March 13, 2017 06:31PM
Your ahead of me... having just started this, I may have question for you smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login