Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Repsnapper Won't Make

Posted by J.Armstrong 
Repsnapper Won't Make
May 02, 2011 02:32PM
Hey All,

So the pc I have dedicated to my mendel crashed and so i reinstalled fedora (14) and now i can't seem to get repsnapper to install.

I've followed the instructions found on the git hub website (here) but when i try t "make" i get a buch of errors (posted below) I'm pretty sure the problem is due to the fact that i cant find OpenGL as is. i tried installing a bunch of opengl related things in the hope that the correct libs would come with. but i guess not..... any body encountered this problem before? or know how to fix it?

cheers,
J.Armstrong

Here is the error message I get when i try to make.

[root@RerapPC repsnapper]# make
make  all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/Mendel/repsnapper'
Making all in libraries
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/Mendel/repsnapper/libraries'
Making all in polylib
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/Mendel/repsnapper/libraries/polylib'
  CXX    libpolylib_la-GeometryBase.lo
  CXX    libpolylib_la-Polygon2f.lo
In file included from Polygon2f.h:27:0,
                 from Polygon2f.cpp:19:
platform.h:37:45: fatal error: GL/glut.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make[3]: *** [libpolylib_la-Polygon2f.lo] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/Mendel/repsnapper/libraries/polylib'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/Mendel/repsnapper/libraries'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/Mendel/repsnapper'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Re: Repsnapper Won't Make
May 02, 2011 03:43PM
polylib has to be built and installed first. I think it is included in the top of the source tree with RepSnapper. I'll try and lend a hand this evening if yopu haven;t solved it by then.
May 02, 2011 04:03PM
I've built and installed polylib ( acquired here) But i'm still getting the same error as posted above....

Thanks for the help btw.

Cheers,
J.A.
May 02, 2011 04:26PM
Ah! Glut 3D is missing
May 03, 2011 10:42AM
Where can you get GLUT. I've tried "yum install gh-GLUT" but there is a broken dependency somewhere and it wont install. I've googled it without success as well.

any ideas?
May 03, 2011 01:01PM
If you are not married to Fedora, I recommend switching over to Ubuntu. Not that there is anything wrong with Fedora, but I just don't have it, so it's tough to say which package you need.

I do suspect that the package you want is not called gh-Glut. It should be something like OpenGL, or libglut, or something like that.
May 03, 2011 02:02PM
Well after doing battle with the glut libraries from source I discovered that repsnapper now can be installed through yum....

So now repsnapper is working but there is still a problem with the extruder controller (i think).

In the before time, had a working mendel and everything was good. but I, being a newb, was printing at too low temperatures and my hot tip exploded. So I rebuilt my hot tip. And now have the new repsnapper, thanks to my computer crashing. But now nothing moves.

When I "connect" to the MB the led flashes like it should, but there is a problem with the extruder controller (again, i think). Before when i had the power on, the steppers would hum a little and be seized up. but now, the lights on the extruder controller board light up but nothing else, and if i try to move the axis, nothing...

I'm going to try reinstalling the firmware and see if that helps....

Other wise, i'm open for suggestions..

Cheers,
Jonathan
May 03, 2011 03:50PM
Ok so i've reloaded the firmware on both chips, and now the chipps make the same noise they used to. But nothing moves.

and i get this error in repsnapper.

N1 G91*16

N2 G90*18

start
Serial Error: LineNr is not the last lineNr+1
Resend:0
N3 G91*18

N4 G90*20

ok
Serial Error: LineNr is not the last lineNr+1
Resend:0
N5 G1 F3000*72

N6 G92 E0*65
May 03, 2011 04:33PM
Which Arduino is it? Both Chips? Is this RAMPS, or something else?

Which Firmware?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2011 04:34PM by jcabrer.
May 03, 2011 04:35PM
Gen3 electronics , Techzone remix.
Firmware from here (bottom of the page)

I'm not sure what chip is causing the error. Thats the output from Repsnapper, when i try to move an axis.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2011 04:36PM by J.Armstrong.
May 03, 2011 07:19PM
Hmm. It looks like your firmware supports some kind of checksum given the *numbers at the end of each line. If this is the case, try looking in the firmware configuration files for a setting that disables checksums. I don't think RepSnapper can parse those.
May 03, 2011 07:20PM
Just looked on the link where you downloaded the firmware:

Firmware Files

You will need to install firware from this zip file for this A-D to work.

This firmware is for the RepRap Host software and probably won't work with Makerbot's Replicatorg software (you are welcome to try and let me know). Kurt (the programmer for TechZoneCommunications) has created this great page, which explains all the software changes we have made to the firmware. There is also a schematic for the adapter on that page.
May 03, 2011 07:25PM
I don't know how far you will get with RepSnapper. It looks like Gen3 like ReplicatorG best.

Try the follwing:

[reprap.org]

[reprap.org]
May 03, 2011 09:28PM
Repsnapper should work with the firmware from Techzone. It's what they also recommend aside from their own web-based 3d toolchain.

BTW, don't let your tip temperature get above 255. If it does, your tip with overheat due to a bug in their code where they set the temperature reading to a byte variable. Thus, numbers above 255 wraps back to 0 which turns on the heater at full blast since it thinks the tip is too cold. I didn't see any response from Techzone to my posts in the forum regarding the bug so I assume that they didn't fix this error.

I made a version that also controls a bed that I posted in this message thread: [forums.reprap.org]. Note though that I have since abandoned using the A-D board and went back to using a thermistor on the tip. It seems that it takes too long to read the temperature with the A-D board.
May 04, 2011 07:46AM
Brnrd, you are right, Lambert from techzone had recommended that we use the specific firmware with Repsnapper on a linux machine. And it had all worked in the past. This , however, was with an older version of Repsanpper.

This version may not support checksum, as jcarber said. I will look into it.

In the meantime any more suggestions are welcome.

and thank you all for the help so far.

Cheers,
J.A.
May 11, 2011 07:33PM
So I just though I would post the solution to my problem about the weird lineNr+1 error. For future reference.

As of the date of this post. The firmware found at the bottom of this page for TechZone gen 3 Electronics, must be used with the older version of the Repsnapper software. The one available from YUM (for fedora users) is too recent. The version found here *should* work.

All of this is notwithstanding the first link being updated.

Cheers,
J.A.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login